*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/802737-What-Tempted-Me-Today
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#802737 added January 9, 2014 at 10:30pm
Restrictions: None
What Tempted Me Today
What tempted you today? Week Three prompt for Welcome to My Reality.

What was I tempted by today? FOOD.

It is really that simple. Food. Letting the hunger get to me after eating so spartan for so much of the day. I can be so good so much of the day and then evening falls. The shadows lengthen, the dark permeates along with the cold and I weaken. My brain swims in a case of the tireds that threatens to send me into dreamland at the drop of a hat, but I still have to get home. And I can not go straight home...NO. I need to stop off and get groceries. Figure out what we are going to have for dinner. Plan for the evening now that the day is done. But as I leave the school I can hear my body craving sweet carbohydrates. Singing for donuts... longing for them even. It would be so easy. One. Tasty. Just an apple fritter. But can I stop at one? Of course not, it would need a friend. Two. Eaten in my car on the way home. I can picture it. Let it slide through my mind, almost tasting the sugary sweetness and the smile that pulls at me. Temptation threatens with a sweet façade.

But I managed to resist. Yes, I did. The traffic that pulls and grinds to a halt in and around the Delta close to the Tim Horton donut shop dissuades me. The traffic gnarled. Even as I long to turn to the left, dip in and brave the cold to get in and buy my prize. I resist. My eyes linger on the long lines of traffic before me and I stay my course. My mind travels the way home looking for alternative places, but as I move along, the strength of the craving diminishes and I wade through it and come out the other side. By the time I get to the grocery store, which has a Tim Hortons in the plaza, I am focused on what to get for dinner and dinner alone.

The chill has also gripped me and I only want to get home.

Home. With my groceries in hand, I move to get dinner in the oven as quickly as possible. Having a plan and performing the actions to get to that plan guides me forward. But once the pork chops are in and baking in their cream of mushroom soup goodness I settle back to find an alternative to my cravings. To dull out the hunger that re emerges with a force. Not so glaring as before, but still strong and vile. I decide on raisin cinnamon toast but that is quickly followed by a milk chocolate Santa - all downing in a blinding few minutes. Then as I stand there finishing off the dinner preparations I find myself no longer so ravished, but a tad full and that will never do. I am not happy with my blunder, but I decide a nap after dinner will bring back the equilibrium and settle me for the night.

As I write this I no longer feel the pull of those urges to cheat with the high calorie treats, but I also know my bed calls to me and I know I need to listen once I finish the necessary tasks of the evening.

I am most certainly hoping this will be an early night. Wish me luck.


© Copyright 2014 πŸ’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
πŸ’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/802737-What-Tempted-Me-Today