*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803588-My-Favourite-Part-of-my-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#803588 added January 16, 2014 at 10:29pm
Restrictions: None
My Favourite Part of my Day
What was your favourite part of today? Week Four prompt for Welcome to my Reality.

Today had its moments. One of my favourite parts was making a blueberry smoothie with my students. I tried to make it as sensory as possible. My students range in intellectual level and also in terms of abilities. Some of them can not eat solid food, while others can. This means cooking becomes a very sensory experience. We incorporate as many senses as each of them can handle. If they can not taste, they can still smell, hear the commotion of the cooking experience (getting to push the button to work the blender), feel the texture of the food (yes, we put their hands in it - their portion), and they can see what we are doing (though two of my students have little sight).

We had fun putting in all the ingredients - the thawed blueberries, the vanilla Greek yogurt, the Skim milk and the frozen blueberries. We giggled over the fact that the frozen berries actually floated on the top! That was a surprise. We looked at the colours as the frozen berries added their juice to the milk. It was neat to see.

Then I screwed on the top and flipped the container over to put it on the blender. My students were absorbed in the process. They were delighted with the blender. Each one got a chance to push the button and make the machine whirl. We even laughed when I accidentally pushed it.

The tasting was wonderful and a nice way to end off the lesson which was an experience in and of itself and with my students, it is all about the experience. I was glad they enjoyed the whole experience. It made my day.

Beyond that I enjoyed a good nap this evening that has made getting up and doing things around the house more bearable. I developed a really bad headache this morning that I thought would make my day pit out but moments like the cooking lesson where highlighted within the pain and I could not help enjoying them.


© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/803588-My-Favourite-Part-of-my-Day