*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805600-How-did-You-keep-warm-today
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by kat
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1972989
My thoughts ~ Imagination is even more valuable than knowledge.
#805600 added February 3, 2014 at 1:27am
Restrictions: None
How did You keep warm today?



Today was the Superbowl and I was torn as the Broncos, the team I grew up rooting for, was in it.  Also in the top two was the Seahawks.  Being from Washington I felt a loyalty to this team that had worked so hard to make it to the Superbowl.  As a family we decided to go to a family friendly establishment to enjoy the game.  There were a multitude of choices and we narrowed it down to two.  The two places we chose were on the same street just two minutes apart and we decided to start at my favorite karaoke place.  I knew the food was good and the staff always treated us well.


The only booths available at the Iron Horse were back in the corner.  I was willing to give it a try but right away there were little issues.  The TV in the corner was small but we could see well enough for me.  However, we all found we could not hear what was being said unless there was a lull in the conversation in the room and we strained to listen real hard.  Elizabeth and I were seated next to the window and although I was comfortable enough in my favorite sweat shirt, Elizabeth complained of being cold from the minute we sat down.  As the kids began to get restless I thought maybe another place would have been a better choice.  Elizabeth really wanted to go check out the other place and when Isabel bumped the lady in the next booth in the head while reaching for a poster on the wall, I gave in.  When I finished my bratwurst Elizabeth and I left to see if the other place would be any better.


Darcy’s was a spacious elegant restaurant with a bar on the side.  The serene restaurant was deserted as we were escorted through it to a nice sized banquet room.  It was equipped with a large TV that we could actually hear and the room was so warm compared to our window seats at the Iron Horse.  I left Elizabeth to enjoy the game and went to go retrieve the rest of the family.  When I arrived at the Iron Horse I told Denny that we needed to go ASAP and he informed me that Chelsea had stolen Isabel’s Chicken and he had ordered more.  I called Elizabeth and told her to hang tight, paid for our food and waited for the children to finish eating.  When they were done I had to pry Isabel off of the floor to get the kids out the door.


We settled in to Darcy’s and Isabel had plenty of room to play and roll around on the floor where she was completely out of the way.  The free food came in handy because the food at the Iron Horse had not filled them up and the drinks were so much better.  (We had chocolate milk and soda.)  They had a drawing and the kids made out like bandits; although all of the prizes were alcohol related.  We were warm and comfortable and very welcomed by the staff.  It was a good time despite the fact that I learned the team I loved as a teenager sucked pretty bad. 


I have never been one to follow football but I have always been a Broncos fan at heart.  I was quite embarrassed today as the Seahawks stomped the Broncos into the turf at MetLife Stadium.  As the people in the adjoining bar screamed “Sea” “Hawks” over and over I began to feel a little Seahawk pride.  Maybe the team of my childhood was just thing of the past and it was time to start rooting for a real team; one that doesn’t choke every time upon making it to the Superbowl.  Today ended up being a new beginning as a Seahawk’s fan in a nice warm banquet room in my favorite sweatshirt.  And even as I say that I choke a little to myself, my heart still belongs to the Broncos of my youth.



© Copyright 2014 kat (UN: katsbooks72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
kat has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805600-How-did-You-keep-warm-today