*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805709-The-Room-Where-I-Spend-A-Great-Deal-Of-Time
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#805709 added February 3, 2014 at 9:17pm
Restrictions: None
The Room Where I Spend A Great Deal Of Time
Choose the room you spent the most time in today and describe it to us. Week Seven for Welcome to My Reality.
Even though we live in a two story home with a finished basement, I find myself enjoying the main floor. It is a room that is open concept. I can stand in the kitchen and see the television in the living room. Tonight I got to watch Dr. Oz while I put dinner together - it makes a mundane chore into something less tedious. It is also helpful when I have to tidy up the kitchen later.

Currently this room is in the middle of renovations. My husband is laying down laminate. He started, I am embarrassed to say, in November and he has only got a small portion of the room done. The furniture is scattered around the room in disarray. Boxes of laminate are stacked around the room, some are at angles that are easy to catch my angle or toe on as I walk by them.

I have had to adjust my life around the current state of this enterprise. I usually sit at the dining room table with direct light on and a hard back chair that helps to keep me focused. The problem is the dinning room table is shoved in the darkest corner of the room with out any chairs at it - in fact, the chairs are stacked into paired sets against the opposite wall. There is no good chair to sit on to keep focused. When I first had to adjust to this setting, I was having to stand at the kitchen counter to work on my laptop as the battery on my computer was weak and needed to be plugged in. My options were to stand at the kitchen counter or sit on the underlay by the back, sliding glass door. Neither was overly comfortable. My other option was my bed. But that was not good, as I tended to fall asleep up there and not get much work done.

On Christmas break, I experimented and found that I could sit on the couch and use my laptop while plugged into the wall socket that is linked to the wall switch - I just have to make sure I turn the switch on when I need it. At least now I am more comfortable but that is not always a good thing. I also got a new battery for my laptop so I do not need to stay constantly plugged in.

From where I sit, I can see the television but the frustrating thing about watching TV on this floor is that I need to get up and go to the TV and point the clicker behind the TV to change the channel. It is like it was when I was a child, back in the day when we did not have a channel changer. I even need to stand up and move towards the TV if I want to adjust the volume. It is crazy.

There is a couch in front of the TV, but it is not on any of the new flooring, so I am not able to sit on it. Instead, that couch is a holding point for my laptop case when I come home from work.

To move around the main floor one must be able to slip on my Crocs so that I can move across the bare floors to the bathroom, but take them off to walk across the underlay that covers most of the main floor. This is actually an improvement from before Christmas. Back then I needed to carry my Crocs around to put them back on when they were necessary.

When will this floor get finished? I am trying to remain hopeful that it will be done after the March Break but I am not so sure.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/805709-The-Room-Where-I-Spend-A-Great-Deal-Of-Time