*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806328-100-WPM-and-selling-out
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#806328 added February 8, 2014 at 7:44pm
Restrictions: None
100 WPM and "selling out"
Bizarre little exercise.

I was helping Len E. Kane with "Note: I wish that my notepad had word count." and was playing around when I noticed http://www.wordcountertool.com/ has a 'check typing speed' tool on the left. I haven't tested my WPM in a while so I did a little test. It took me 1 minute to type the following 100 words and an additional minute to go back and fix a few mistakes/errors. Not sure what that means, or if 100 wpm (w/ 5-8 mistakes) is good....but I call it a mild success.....

i have no idea how fast i type and i don't really know why it's important to type all that fast I have a problem of trying to type and look at the same time and my hands can't keep up with my mind sometimes when I type and it can be really frustrating but I just have to keep practicing and I know I will get better at it this must be what blind people look like when they think a lot if I ever act as a blind person I will remember this exercise very very very well.


-------------------------

Anime isn't for everyone but I like Episode 4 of Fairy Tale: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Fairy_Tail/70266998?sod=search-autocomplete

It's about a writer that was blackmailed and jailed into writing a book for a powerful man. He purposely wrote the book horribly due to his Writer's Pride. He goes home after 3 years, his son is pissed and writer decides he's never writing again so chops his writing hand off and dies soon after. Crazy right? 30 years later, son feels bad for being mean to his dad so hires the main characters to destroy the book. Lucy figures out that the writer, also a wizard, actually spelled the book to rewrite itself at the write (happy accident) time. The title turns from Daybreak to Dear Kaby, his sons name so it's a letter to his son. Lucy thinks the author chopped his hand off because he wrote his worst but also his best work of all time.

One thing about these Japanese artists, they sure know how to tell a simple story creatively and enthusiastically....

I remember loving this manga so it was interesting to see it come to life.

Also, it sounds extreme but on the mental side of things how many of us take our writing so seriously that we would never want to write again if we were to sell out and produce something merely for profit and/or because we were forced to? I doubt I'd chop my limbs off but I know I'd be mega bummed and disappointed in myself for sure. Enough so that I'd actually mourn and get physically ill if it came to it and got that bad.
#foodforthought

This wasn't intentional but I guess I kind of touched on Solivagus 's current situation: "Note: One of the reasons why I haven't been around. ..."

© Copyright 2014 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/806328-100-WPM-and-selling-out