*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807048-Knowing-when-to-Quit
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#807048 added February 14, 2014 at 5:15am
Restrictions: None
Knowing when to Quit
I was touched when I saw the Russian Ice Skater tell the audience that he could not skate any longer. In his interview he let people know that he was not a robot, he was normal. There comes a time when you try your best and you go on.

I left the experience changed. I no longer felt an oppressive burden to go on whether or not my body, soul and mind were working in harmony. At some time all of us have this wall that can not be climbed or plowed through. In Pleshenkovs case he was in practice and his body could not support his weight without a lot of pain. He had already helped his team win a gold medal and so it made the need to draw out of the competition that much more difficult. Nobody like to feel like they are a disappointment/failure. He shared his tears and frustration and then he let everyone know that he was done. He gave it all he had and that was enough.

I hope that I can have that courage. I work with persons as a caregiver that can not do what they did in their younger years. They still have stories to tell even if they can never do what they did before. One person I take care of was a professional boxer, another was in the navy during world war 2 and still another was a very caring man who sold goods all over. Circumstances change. I wonder how I can let someone quit and at the same time determine what that space means for me and those I love.

© Copyright 2014 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/807048-Knowing-when-to-Quit