*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/816392-Pastoral-Presence
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#816392 added May 10, 2014 at 12:22am
Restrictions: None
Pastoral Presence
It is days like today that move me to rethink caregiving apart from pastoral consideration. I was asked to go and be with an older gentleman who was going through a rough time. The only stipulation was that I needed to be a Christian man. I entered and at first encouraged him to talk. I just figured if he talked about himself he would feel better. It could not have been further from the truth. At first he was insistent that he was not worth my time. *RollEyes*


I decided to share my testimony and he began to reveal the facets of his own journey that gave him hope. He was a father, grandfather, basketball couch, a loving husband of forth-seven years and by the end of our converation he was full of himself. It was as if he found himself for the first time. He was in a state of wonder that he was having so much fun. It was as if he was having a party. I fixed sandwiches for both of us and right as his wife came to the door he kidded with her: "where is my food?". It only got better after that.
*Laugh*

I observed the talk between his wife and him. He had trouble processing and she was full of energy moving from one topic to another. He looked like he was lost. At one point he told her to slow down. Not long after his wife did her talking church people came to the door. All they did for the half an hour was talk about themselves and people that they had saved. George (not his real name) was propped up in his easy chair, alert and at home with himself and the world he called home. I had almost forgotten what served as a typical model for the ideal pastoral call. Where did George go in the light of all the conversation that took place around him. I was glad to offer God's presence in my own way. George and I laughed a lot at his two cats, his recovery from disability and life in general. I knew Jesus came to visit him that day and I was glad to be a part of making that happen.
*Delight*

© Copyright 2014 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/816392-Pastoral-Presence