*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817878-Visiting-Yoners
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #1976943
Writings about death, relationships, feelings, and time
#817878 added May 28, 2014 at 11:37am
Restrictions: None
Visiting Yoners
Memorial Day Weekend

This is a holiday that I always celebrate in some way or the other.  It and Veterans' Day inspires me.  This Memorial Day, I am in Yonkers, New York, a place I have never been before with a couple that I've only met once before.  They have a very beautiful home, and I am thankful to be sharing it with them and my friend Adrienne for a few days.

Adrienne and I toured the Bronx and Harlem yesterday.  It was an awesome tour riding around with a native New Yorker, as she pointed out all of her childhood memories.  Seeing New York through her eyes was both wonderful and rewarding.  Although I had been to New York several times before, I developed a different appreciation for it, and actually thought I could live here.  New York became something other than hot cement, tall buildings, and a place to visit.  It was her home, and she recalled places with such joy and admiration..

We ate at a Senegalese Restaurant that had a wonderful ambiance, and equally divine Food called African Kine.  The portions were huge.  The writing on the menu was so small, I could not read it, so I asked the waitress to tell me their best dishes.  She was at dish number two when I thought, I could go for the first one, but then she finished the second one, and it stole my taste buds.  Fried fish smothered in onions, carrots, peas and corn with a side of rice.  Great choice even though it was a little too oily for my taste.

I had a memory from my college years in New York where I stayed with my class for a tour of some of the museums in New York, The "Y" at Lexington and something.  Adrienne and I decided to find it.  We did.  It was torn down and only the address remained 610 Lexington Street.  A little taken back, we circle the block and sure enough, it was gone.  Only a memory.  With that we rode past Central park again, and decided to finish our journey.  So, on to Yonkers, NY.


I did not realize how tired I was until I sat down on their lounge chair, watched a movie, talked a few minutes, and then passed out.  Woke up at about 4:50am and here I am.  Today, we plan to go back to the Bronx, and later to the airport to pick up my grand-daughter who is flying back from Atlanta.  Who knows what we will get into today.  I hope we get to visit the Ground Zero Museum, and then I will be ready to return home.  So far, great visit.

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2014 G. B. Williams (UN: mgmiles01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
G. B. Williams has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/817878-Visiting-Yoners