*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/819961-Handling-the-Phoenix-Heat
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#819961 added June 16, 2014 at 10:08pm
Restrictions: None
Handling the Phoenix Heat
         Just a brief entry for now, about the start of this trip.  It's hot here in Phoenix, but y'all know that already.  It was 95 today, but at least it was a dry heat.  *Smile*  I know what y'all are saying, humid vs. Dry heat, but I grew up in Albuquerque.  I remember playing basketball at the local park in the middle of the summer.  Outdoors, temps in the mid 90's.  We didn't care.  We had water, we played, we rested in the shade, and cooled off.  But that's the thing with a dry heat.  In the sun, you bake of course.  But get in the shade, and you cool off.  You don't sweat because it's so dry out.  In humid heat, you get in the shade, and you sweat as much, if not more there than you do in the sun!

         Sadly, I'm only here for 2 days, delivering a class on what's known as a 'Base Radio' for the city of Phoenix.  I arrived at 11am this morning, and briefly considered driving 3.5 hours north to the Grand Canyon.  However, with my back the way it is right now, and the length of the drive round trip, I decided against it.  It was a good decision too, because I'd be very tired trying to teach class tomorrow.  Instead, I went north about 1.5 hours, to Montezuma's Castle National Monument.  It's an old Indian ruin set in the hillside.  It was inhabited from about 1000 to 1400.  I found it amazing to look at, even more so when you considered living in something like that.  A picture taken today is below.  See what you think.  If I have a chance, I'll go back Wednesday, or some other Indian site, we'll see how things go.  Stay cool in the summer heat everyone.  Hopefully I'll add more to this after the trip is complete.


© Copyright 2014 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/819961-Handling-the-Phoenix-Heat