*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822390-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#822390 added July 11, 2014 at 10:39pm
Restrictions: None
Friday
Another day draws close to an end. It was back to work today after three days off, and it was also the hottest day yet this summer. Up to the time I got to work, I thought yesterday was going to be the last day Rhonda and I had time off together until we got someone hired and trained. I had wanted to contact some people just for that reason over the time I had off.

But, things don't always go the way we plan them, and I didn't get much of anything done all week. Monday I took off from work early and headed to Howard to get a tooth looked at, pick up some antibiotics, and go over options with a bum tooth. But, by the time the dentist seen the x-rays, he was ready to just pull the tooth and get it over and done with. There was little chance to save the tooth, and it needed to come out right away. So, I consented, and the tooth was pulled.

I came back home with three days off to rest and heal up, intending to try and get some work done, contact some prospective employees, and maybe even set up an interview or two. But, by the time I got home, I ended up going off to bed shortly after getting home. I was tired, sore, and rest was all I could focus on. For the next two days, I ran a pretty high fever and was pretty out of it. By yesterday I was finally starting to pull through and starting to become aware again.

It was a heck of an infection, and it was messing up a lot of different things with me. My sinuses for one, my asthma was acting up, I had discomfort in my chest, acid reflux and indigestion, and a terrible back and side ache.  I was also suffering from a lot of muscle cramps and joint pain, as well as just being tired all the time. But, with the tooth out, and a couple of days to heal up and beat the infection, I'm feeling a whole lot better. I was surprised I was not put on antibiotics, but I suppose a dentist does not know how much infection is in the system, since they do not do blood work. Also, with the tooth gone, the source of infection is gone, and then body can now begin to heal itself.

So, today I was feeling even better, almost back to my old self, which was good since I was back to work today. But I was kind of down knowing that it may be a while before Rhonda and I both get time off together again. When I got to work, I talked to the guard who was suppose to work today as her last day. But, she wouldn't be starting her next job until the first week in August, so I asked if she wanted to work longer.

She did, and we looked over the calendar and picked August 1 as her last day. I was going to have her write up a new resignation listing this date, but she wasn't sure if she would get the job or not, and desired to not file it just yet, if that was alright with me. I agreed, asking that she keep me posted  of any changes, and I also told her if the job did not come through she could stay on longer yet.

It helps us out since we have not hired yet, and it helps her out as well.  But, because I cannot depend on her working for any longer than she needs to, I think it best we hire someone just in case she does get the job, or finds a different one. Normally we would have to slash some hours to create some for another guard, but I'm hoping that we can find someone who will be willing to work about fifteen hours a week for now, with the option of picking up time if someone wants time off or gets sick. Also, the afternoon guard is still not doing a satisfactory job, and I'm getting some pressure from the store management to do something.

That something is to replace him, basically. I can put him on less hours and try and schedule him during the slowest shifts, but if he does not get it soon, they will demand he be replaced. The only other option is to put him on temp duty for the summer, doing double coverage. I'm hoping he gets his stuff together, but at the same time, I am beginning to suspect he really prefers not to work at all, but is pressured to work by his dad. So, having another person available would be a smart move, and cutting this person back on hours would make management happy.

I'll talk to him Monday, and we will go over the schedule and set up some hours for a new guard to start. Then, I guess it's up to them who stays and how goes come Labor Day weekend. I'll keep the person who is doing the best job, plans on sticking around awhile, and can work various shifts, as needed.

© Copyright 2014 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/822390-Friday