*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824777-Moving-Day
by Deswy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Ghost · #2003853
Contemporary Horror/Gothic
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#824777 added August 8, 2014 at 10:59pm
Restrictions: None
Moving Day
CHAPTER TWO






MOVING DAY









    The closing went without a hitch three weeks later, and I moved into my new home.  James Witby had remained true to his word; the eighteenth-century furniture remained, as well as boxes of unknown items stored in the full-sized attic.  I remembered asking him why he didn't want any of these things, and he had shrugged his shoulders, saying, “You'll find out the Lieutenant doesn't like to have his things meddled with.”


    Mitch had volunteered to help me move my things from my cramped apartment in New Town, and had just finished bringing the boxes in from the U-Haul parked out front. 


    “Okay, what would you like me to do now?” He asked, handing me a bottle of water.


    “I suppose we should start in the kitchen.”  I was glad I thought to label the boxes; thank God for organized disorganization!


    We finished unpacking and managed to put everything away by dusk, collapsing and placing the empty boxes in what used to be the stable on the grounds in the rear of the house.


    I sat on the floor near the fireplace in the Living Room and Mitch joined me, lying back on the floor with an exhausted sigh. I crawled over to him and collapsed in his arms.  We had a comfortable relationship, he and I.  We took things at a casual pace, never making demands on each other.  We had dated once, but found that we made better friends than lovers. 


    “I'm starving.” He turned on his side, his left hand wiping the hair from my eyes.  His green eyes danced as he smiled at me.


    I  gave him a small kiss and smiled back at him, then sat up.  “I know a place in town where we can get some really awesomely tender, juicy steak.  What d'ya say? Are you game?”


    “Mmmmm.  Sounds great!”  He moaned and groaned as he stood up, play-acting the role of an old man with aches and pains.  I giggled, poking fun at him as we walked outside into the cool Indian Summer night.  As I got into his car I thought how perfect life was.  I looked towards the house as we drove off and smiled to myself.  Yes, it doesn't get much better than this.





© Copyright 2014 Deswy (UN: deswy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Deswy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/824777-Moving-Day