*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825435-Adventuring
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#825435 added August 15, 2014 at 9:56pm
Restrictions: None
Adventuring
I went with my mother and stepfather today to Crystal Springs MS. Twenty years ago my mother's friend Marion had a perfectly enormous house in Crystal Springs. The house is somewhat of a local landmark: it even got on the cover of the phone book one year. It has changed hands several times since then and has been for sale recently. We drove by the house and on a whim my stepfather pulled in the driveway. There were no cars there and he just wanted to look in the windows. It turns out that the guy who bought the house was there and we got to walk through it. I love doing stuff like that! The people who lived there last were evidently somewhat crazy. The added on to the house, and the add-on looks absolutely bizarre from the front of the house. It looks bizarre on the inside too. It is a bathroom/closet area with kind of an odd floor plan. Also, they didn't keep up the payments so naturally it got foreclosed, upon which they ripped out a bunch of the fixtures and sold them on ebay. People can be weird, can't they?

A friend of my mother's called while we were on our way to Crystal Springs. When she found out where we were going, she told us we ought to keep going to McComb MS to eat at a place called The Dinner Bell. I looked it up on my phone. Their website said that it was a "roundtable" restaurant. When we found that out, we couldn't wait to get there. A roundtable is just that: a great big round table that everybody sits at. You don't sit at your own personal table. There will probably be three or four parties at your table. There is a "lazy susan" in the middle that the food is on and you turn it until the dish you want gets to you.

Well, it was the best food we had eaten in years. It was the food of the south, rich and unhealthy: fried chicken, dumplings, sweet potato casserole, black-eyed peas, turnip greens, and fried eggplant. Delicious!

That was our adventure for today.

© Copyright 2014 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/825435-Adventuring