*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827995-I-GAVE-UP-COLLECTING-STUFF
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#827995 added September 13, 2014 at 12:21pm
Restrictions: None
I GAVE UP COLLECTING STUFF
It's Saturday and the flea market is open. What treasures did you discover? Do you actively look for certain items? Or do you buy closed boxes because you like mysteries? What kind of shopper are you?

After the years in Iran, and now Belize, I haven't seen a flea market for many years. In these countries everything is used and reused until it is totally garbage-dust. Large families absorb everything and dispose of virtually nothing. In Belize, what we do get are containers full of used clothing from the US. Twice a week new stuff is put out and usually sold by the pound. I guess like Goodwill on a grand scale. Now this is not fancy clothing, just jeans, shorts, t-shirts, jackets, slacks, pullovers, kids clothes, etc. I don't know, maybe the overflow from all the giant flea markets gets shipped here?

The last flea market I visited was in 2005 in Paris. Wow! that was amazing. A 100 year-old item was nothing. It reeked of old, old treasures. I think I experienced brain burn-out trying to see everything.

I believe all the good stuff goes to the property houses that supply the Film and Television and Theater production companies with everything we see as authentic wardrobe, and settings. There are warehouses of old stuff that would amaze you---from any time period or culture. It's all saved and rented out. I had great fun as a production designer, with a budget, shopping for a particular film's settings. That is flea market heaven!

I gave up collecting stuff a long time ago and now, living on a boat, have no space for anything unless it's practical like a piece of silverware or a cup. I did learn that living without so much stuff to keep track of, is very freeing. Especially now that important stuff can be digitized and stored on a chip or flashcard. All my paintings are on my tablet along with every scrap of paper I need for writing. I love this way of working.

For those of you who have the space and time. To find items and maybe restore them and give them new life is very satisfying. I wish you well!

Best to all. >>>iggy *Boat*
                    ** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable **  Blog City image small          I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.


© Copyright 2014 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/827995-I-GAVE-UP-COLLECTING-STUFF