*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831593-Writing-to-Write-or-Writing-to-be-Read
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#831593 added October 18, 2014 at 7:11pm
Restrictions: None
Writing to Write or Writing to be Read?
Writing to Write or Writing to be Read?


Why do I blog? Okay, let's just lay it out there - The main reason I blog is so I can procrastinate from doing something that needs to be done yet doesn't really appeal to me.

I do write as a release . . . of what you ask? Hmmm. . . creativity, anxiety, confusion, outlet, sexual tension ~okay, okay, I threw that last one in just so this wasn't quite so boring and you might read on. But do I really write for me? Is that enough? Or does part of me want someone to read it? Is it the act of writing or communicating that appeals to me?

This is seriously on topic though it might not seem so at first. We got new English books for my 8th grade class - they are kind of hokey and I rarely use a textbook anyway, but so the school board would feel justified I tried out the first chapter. At first, it appealed to me. It was about why writing is important and the different ways we use it. I believe this is important, because if you can't convince a 14 year old that they will use what they are learning and they might actually benefit somewhat from it, it's going to be a long year!

But here is what it said:

The Main Purposes to Write:

1. Entertain Others
2. Share Information
3. Persuade
4. Inform

No personal fulfillment addressed? Are you kidding me? So, I decided to 'alter' the well-meaning author's list and turned Entertain Others to -

To Enjoy: Not only can writing bring your reader enjoyment, it can be personally fulfilling too. It enables you to express your thoughts and feelings. For me, writing helps me escape from everyday life.


Was this wrong of me? I don't think so. I mean I didn't mislead their entire English class venture by telling them that nouns are really verbs and they banned all adjectives when the higher ups decided Pluto was no longer a planet. Though, the mischievous side of me does see some fun in that.

All I did was tell them it was okay to write for themselves -- despite what I've believed at times in my own life not everything we do has to benefit others or the world. Sometimes it is okay to just do something for yourself.

That being said, why then do I check to see if I've had any views? Sometimes it is just for enjoyment - to see if I made someone smile or laugh. Curiosity - does anyone know Audra Ralls is out there? And those times I share something personal that I write because I know I'd never allow myself to say the words aloud - that would make them too real, maybe too much to handle, even if it seems like a small thing. And if I'm able to share that even with someone I've never met and I made it through 'talking' about it - maybe it is some sort of confirmation that I can handle it.

Wow! How many times can I type 'maybe' in one confusing paragraph?

And then there is that part of me that thinks that maybe something I've written, some little piece I don't even remember creating, has an impact on someone somewhere. Ahhhhh - the dreamer in me lives - shocker!

Here's a little incidence from my Home Ec class;

Kennadee loves to make me coffee. It's a tough thing to put up with having coffee prepared for you every school day and actually being able to say it relates to the curriculum, but I do what I can to make others happy. *Smile*

Kennadee makes the coffee. Emily puts it in my favorite mug that the best guy in the world bought for me. Haedyn wanting to be a part of it mentions there is some creamer in our mini fridge. We have the class in my English classroom. We work with what we have. You know, budget cuts and all.

I'm helping Cole look up a recipe, so I just give Haedyn a nod and said that would be great, just to check the date.

Approaching with smiles are Haedyn with English Toffee Creamer and Emily with my coffee. Life is good! Haedyn tells me to tell her when to stop pouring it in; she wants to make it just right. What a sweetheart!

Suddenly, there is more excitement and tension than a fire drill during a 9 weeks test, as I shriek, "Stop! Stop!" I'm a little unclear on this next thing but I'm pretty sure I gagged for at least fifteen seconds.

"Haedyn, did you check the date?!"

"Yes, Ms. Ralls. It's October 17th."

I look at the bottle for an expiration date that no doubt will be too small for me to read. The creamer should be fine.

"Cole, what does that say?"

"September 29th." His voice is bland, factual. Apparently, the fact that I almost drank English Toffee chunks of spoiled creamer isn't a top priority in his life.

"Haedyn, I told you to check the date!" I'm not 'mad', but coffee receiving usually is the high-point of my school day.

"I'm sorry, I thought you meant the date on the board."

I start to ask why today's date on the board would matter about her putting creamer in my coffee, but I stop myself remembering these are teenagers. Their minds 'work' differently.

All I know is I won't run out of things to teach them this year in Home Ec. Monday's lesson: The importance of checking and respecting expiration dates on food products, medications, and household products.

Winging Life,
Ralls
my newest sig
BOOK
Hey, life? Are you kidding me?  (18+)
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#1578384 by audra_branson





© Copyright 2014 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/831593-Writing-to-Write-or-Writing-to-be-Read