*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835295-How-Do-You-Hear-It
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#835295 added December 2, 2014 at 8:14pm
Restrictions: None
How Do You Hear It?
Do me a favor, please. Come on, please - humor me - it's an audio thing. I'm pretending to have an interactive blog. Okay so here's the big favor:

Read the following sentence out loud:

What do I have to give?


So how did you read it? Were you asking 'How much were you supposed to give? or "What talents do you have to contribute?" I think the emphasis is the word 'have' that changes it but it's kind of a pace thing too.

I got this from a sermon at church - so I guess I'm guilty of stealing from my preacher. What do I have to give to make up for that?

While the question itself is interesting to me - it is more the emphasis and interpretation that has been tickling my remaining brain cells. It's similar to the glass half-full vs. half-empty thing . . . but not really.

Depending on how you say it is compelling to me. One way you are on the defensive because you feel as if you are losing part of yourself or possibly possessions, and in the other instance you are looking for something you have worth giving and contributing. It made me reflect personally. Do I put a wall up to keep a distance from others and what they might want? or Do I look within myself to see what I have to offer that would be worth taking the wall down brick by brick? Okay, so that was me just pretending to be deep and philosophical. Gosh, no wonder I hated my Philosophy class in college.

On a lighter note, we had an assembly on 'sexting' today at the middle school. Tons of fun....needed I know and completely support, but you try getting kids back focused when they are thinking about one of the following:

1. Oh crap, is that picture mom posted on Facebook of me when I was two and mostly covered in bubbles in the bathtub going to make her have to register as a sex offender.

2. He he he . . . They said naked picture in the assembly.

3. They just don't realize how in love Johnny and I are. He would never show someone our conversations or pictures.

4. Holy hat - I'm screwed.

Of course, it didn't help much that this assembly was after Home Ec where we were sewing and I made the mistake of saying . . . Watch what you are doing. You don't want to go in the wrong hole.

You see anything you say to middle schoolers can be taken, well, as having to do with sex or poop. But you know, you just have to kind of go with it. Eventually you start thinking like them which can make family dinners during the holidays awkward. I mean there you sit, 45 years old, finally at the grown up table and you burst out laughing when your brother says: Let's just eat. You can never count on Becky (his wife) to do anything on time. It seems like I've spent my life waiting for her to come, and it's always at least 10 minutes later than I thought it would be. Pass me turkey. I've been craving some dark meat.

Your parents and siblings look at you like your insane, but your nephews think you are pretty damn cool and welcome you back to the kid table.

So there you have it. . . philosophy and dirty talk all in one blog.

Keeping my reputation up,

Audra

© Copyright 2014 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/835295-How-Do-You-Hear-It