*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/832160-Spec-Savers
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#832160 added October 25, 2014 at 6:15am
Restrictions: None
Spec Savers
The new writing class I’ve started seems to be more intense and challenging than the last and I’m not sure I should have joined it, particularly as Mr Sleazeball from the last group is in attendance. Still, I don’t like giving up on things and maybe it will do me good to focus more intently on what I’d really like to write, if anything.

Matters are not helped by the fact I'm having some sight problems and not finding it easy to read or write at present. It all started in the USA. Before we left I’d been for a check up at the opticians and was informed there was a slight deterioration in my vision, but not dire enough to merit new specs if I didn’t want to change. I consider myself fortunate in not needing any new ones in over six years and would have been willing to order a new pair at that stage. I value my sight and being able to see clearly as a top priority. However, the present fashion for plastic old granny glasses is not to my liking despite being an old granny. I could find no frames I liked so decided to leave it until we returned and I could look for something to suit my preferences.

It was while in Yellowstone late on the last night as I stood up that my faithful old specs decided to part with an arm without any provocation. They simply fell apart, which I suspect is due to suffering many years of grandson yanks. Nothing for it but to tape them up with an Elastoplast, which was hardly a satisfactory solution. I can and do wear disposable contact lens but only had a limited amount with me, so although that was one way to get by it wasn’t going to be enough for the whole trip.

Our flight to New Orleans went via Salt Lake airport, to which I give top marks as far as airports go. We had quite a wait, so remembering that many shops now sell cheap reading glasses decided to go in search of a pair in the various shops around the airport. Hubby couldn’t accompany me due to his limited walking ability, so off I set alone to see what I could find. After perusing several shops I decided on a pretty white pair, but realised it would be no use testing them out while wearing contact lens.

After removing and disposing of the lens in the restroom, I fumbled back to where I thought the shop was and eventually located the glasses I’d seen earlier. Trying them on I could see quite clearly, but didn’t think to look at the tiny sticker on them using a different pair of specs from the stand. Pooh brain.

Taking them to the counter, the assistant brought out a very posh tin case from under the counter and placed the glasses in it. She then wrapped it up in pretty pink tissue and placed them in a sturdy, patterned carrier bag.

‘That will be 64 dollars please ma’am,’ she announced with a smile. I had to hold on to the counter in case the shock caused me to pass out, but hadn’t the confidence to tell her there was no way I wanted to pay that amount for a temporary pair of reading glasses. I could have bought ten pairs from a supermarket for that price.

The worst part was when we boarded the plane and I got my book out to read during the flight I could only manage to see a page of blurry writing.

Hubby has managed to stick my originals together for the moment, but they don’t sit right, are in danger of falling apart easily and I suspect my sight has deteriorated further so at the moment any reading or writing is a strain to say the least. With the cost of the trip and the approach of the season I love to hate finances are tight, but it seems I need to find some frames I like ASAP and get myself off to the opticians. Except I have a stonking cold.

I could do with a Lottery win, but with no chance of that I’ll try selling my designer reading specs on ebay. Every little helps.

Here’s a link to some photos of the lovely Salt Lake City area.


https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/SaltLakeCity2014?authuser=0&feat=directl...

© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/832160-Spec-Savers