*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833307-History-In-A-Hard-Drive-Funerals-Family-Mystery--More
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#833307 added November 5, 2014 at 9:35am
Restrictions: None
History In A Hard Drive, Funerals, Family Mystery & More
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 247


Prompt: The year is 2214 and your computer's dusty hard drive shows up at an antique store. Write a note to the buyer what they will find in there.

My laptop holds many stories. One file is thick with stories and poems I have worked on over the years, but it also holds the story of who I was and what was important to me. My biggest files are writing and teaching. Those are the passions of my life, so my laptop will reflect those things.

My teaching files follow my development through teachers college and hold the memories of each class of students I taught. Lesson plans and ideas generated and held all reflecting the dynamics of my various teaching experiences. It would also show a time of what teaching was like at this time in history.

The writing files show the development of a writer. The stories and poems reflect a life lived within the crafted word. Some are wonderful, others not so good but all show a progression. Some may even be the first drafts and later drafts of novels and poems out in the world - those may be worth something I would say - if I were to publish.

Other bits of rubbish linger - things I wanted to remember and kept. All of these telling a story of who I was when this laptop was my life line and my sounding board.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality – Week Forty – Six


4. How do you dress for a funeral? Black out of respect or colours of celebration, or a tactful bit of both?

Black or navy out of respect is my style of dress. But I think it also depends on the person who has died. I remember going to my grandmother funeral in Timmins. The funeral was quiet and solemn, respectful of a woman who's faith was very strong and important to her, but the time after the funeral turned into more of a party as we moved into the realm of celebrating her and my grandfather. Remembering the fun times and laughter shone like a beacon out of the darkness that was her death. Alzheimer's had stolen her last years, but her life had been full and the family had memories that told of her past - her humanity was drawn up and celebrated with a flare that she would have welcomed had she been there. I learned more about my grandmother in those few hours than I had in many a year and I was grateful for the experience even though I knew I would miss her.

5. Are there any mysteries in your family?

I don't think so, but then if they are mysteries I may not know about them. I love family stories. My relatives are a comical bunch - great characters. I borrow some of their traits when developing my own characters.

Coming from northern Ontario also puts a mysterious setting into the mix.... whether the mysteries are real or a creation of my own making the place helps to generate the atmosphere.

As a child, and even now, when I go to visit, the place inspires creative flow. My mind can play in the mysteries of possibility and that is like finding a jewel in the rough. Pure, but hidden; just waiting for someone to find it and bring out its essence.

6. What is your favourite thing to do in the evening? Walk us through your evening routine.

Wednesday is the night I work with a client. I pick him up at his place of work - an adult prevocational facility - and we head off. Depending on the day's weather we may go for a hike along nature trails or to the mall to walk and shop. I prefer the hiking, but in the winter months we move inside because he is nervous to fall when it looks icy. If it is a rainy day, I will also get a coffee before we head out, if it is nice I forgo the coffee until dinner - I would rather not behalf way down the trail and need a bathroom, thank you very much. After a little hiking or shopping, we go for dinner. We usually go to Wendy's, but sometimes McDonald's or A & W gets our business - anything with a burger and fries for my client. After our meal, he tells me about his day - being autistic this is part of his routine. I try to ask questions but I often just manage to throw off his 'story'. I also ask him what he did, as he is prone to tell me what others did or what he ate (he tells his mother what he ate, too and she is the one who made his lunch). When he is finished he will ask what we are going to do next and that changes depending on the time we have left. Before I take him home, I need to get his six Timbits from Tim Hortons. We often go to the library or do a little more shopping. [In the summer my hours are extended and I am able to take him swimming - which he loves to do.]

After I drop him off at his mothers, he gets half his Timbits (the other half goes into his lunch for the next day's snack) and then I chat with his mother. I have been with the family a long time (January 25, 2015 will be 20 years!) So my conversation with her is more friendship than employee. In the time I have been with them, his mother has developed MS so I try to help out a little as well. She is very independent so sometimes I need to just do something and tell her later. She appreciates it, but would never ask.
When I leave their place I usually head to the Chapters bookstore to browse and then settle into the Starbucks with a coffee, maybe a treat, and then I either read or write until close to ten. I try to head home for ten o'clock.

My other evenings are not this routine. I usually stay home. Wearing cozy clothes and sitting on the couch reading, writing or even watching a bit of television depending on my mood and if I have gotten my writing done for the day.

Sometimes I will venture out and walk to one of the Starbucks that are close by. That gives me exercise and moves me away from the TV. I will often read or write depending on my mood.

With NaNo, writing is taking higher priority and I have ventured out to meet up with other writers in the area. Going to a Write In is fun. Writing with others in public gives a high all its own. Sometimes I am very productive, sometimes it is more social, but it is always a blast.


© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/833307-History-In-A-Hard-Drive-Funerals-Family-Mystery--More