*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
12
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834583-Are-We-Too-Focused-or-Are-We-Observers
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#834583 added November 21, 2014 at 4:09pm
Restrictions: None
Are We Too Focused or Are We Observers
Today's blog...

Blog City – Day 263


Raymond Carver says," many writers miss what is right in front of them."Judy Reeves disagrees, she says, "Writers live life on two levels, one we participate in relationships, go about our daily business, interact, respond and perform: the other we observe and take notes." I know it sounds simple but is it. Do you only take notes about what needs to be remembered or are you like Carver indicates oblivious to all that is available. Tell me what you think about their opinions.

I find both of these quotes speak a glimmering truth. When writing, so deep in the flow of the work, a writer will miss what is going on around them. They are so attuned to their story that nothing else matters. But I also believe writers need to connect and participate in order to fill the well of their experience so that they can bring that to their writing. For our writing to reach and connect with others we need to communicate our experience – a universal experience of emotions and sensory aspects that can only be mined from living and interacting in the real world.
I go nowhere without a notebook. You never know when you will run across something that captures your fancy. Overheard conversation, observing the world around you. It is all fodder for the mill. It all needs time to ruminate and grow into something more.

© Copyright 2014 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/834583-Are-We-Too-Focused-or-Are-We-Observers