*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836520-Wed-Dec-17-will-be-memorable
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#836520 added December 17, 2014 at 5:26pm
Restrictions: None
Wed. Dec 17 will be memorable
In Memory of my friend Dan Walden


It is with a very sad heart that I write today. This morning my husband called me to tell me our friend died in his sleep sometime last night. Dan is the same age as I am, 62.  He was like my older brother/"husband" during the months of September through Dec.  We were joined at the hip decorating the Church for the annual Christmas on the Camp grounds. I lost my job and got busy doing other things this year. I didn't help out as I usually do. The people in charge were changed with a new and brighter purpose. Dan was deep into overseeing the decorating crews. I stepped out for a break. Now I will wonder if I had done more maybe he might not have had the same end? Was he so stressed (a normal for Dan) and I might have alleviated some of it? It was a passing thought. I know God had a hand in whatever happened. It wouldn't have mattered if I were there or not when He calls.  I'm just glad it was in Dan's sleep.

I've known Dan since I was a kid. He lived 28 miles away in another city. He played the harp and studied music. He followed in his father's footsepts as a Music director.  Over the years I've visited my folks, attended our midsummer church convention and Dan was our music director.
When I moved to Portland and was asked to sing in the choir then to be in charge of the dramas, Dan was right beside me.  When it was discussed that the church would put on a yearly Christmas on the Campground light display and walking Nativity, Dan and I worked on this activity. To say we worked closely is putting it mildly. He became my "church husband"  We texted and talked every day often multiple times a day through Dec until a few months later when we took down all the lights and put them away.

I find as I contimplate our friendship and the relationship our families had my heart is heavy with sadness. I will miss Dan so much. His laughter. his unique directing style (He put his whole body into directing) and his nervous nasal sniff. I wish he was here to share the release of my novel, he would have loved to help me with its launch.

I don't question God's plans. In 2000 He took a cousin suddenly with an anurism. Her full-time involvement in sewing costumes for the Christmas and Easter programs as well as decorating the cabins used for visitors was a great loss. Her niece stepped in and took up the slack. Others have found a spot to fill her shoes.  I'm sure God has someone that will step in and fill Dan's shoes. They were big and talented.

Dan Walden you will be missed by many. I know there are many what will be there to welcome you into heaven.

My friend and church Husband

© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/836520-Wed-Dec-17-will-be-memorable