*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842696-Chasing-girls-chasing-boys-with-Ingrid-Michaelson
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#842696 added February 27, 2015 at 4:44am
Restrictions: None
Chasing girls chasing boys with Ingrid Michaelson
** Image ID #2026596 Unavailable **



Song: "Girls Chase Boys"
Artist: Ingrid Michaelson
Album: Lights Out

Okay, this is going to be my last catch-up entry tonight, and my last foray into indie musicians for a little while. Ingrid Michaelson is another MySpace find courtesy of my wife, and I totally dug her song "The Chain" (originally performed live on her third album Be OK), and her song "Soldier" (as well as the studio version of "The Chain") on her fourth album Everybody. Like many artists at the time, Michaelson was producing her music independently and putting it out on MySpace. In her case, a music producer for the show Grey's Anatomy found her music and that interest resulted in interest by many music labels. She insisted on retaining the rights to her music, though, and ended up carving out a less lucrative music contract that let her do her own music her own way rather than taking a bigger payment and having to hand over control to the label. It ended up being a smart move; her song "The Way I Am" was featured in an Old Navy commercial in 2007 which catapulted her into the spotlight, eventually leading to the song making 65 media appearances over the course of the next three weeks, including on the soundtrack to seventeen separate television show season premieres! *Shock*

She's been making music ever since, doing her own songs her own way and creating what I think is a great, unique voice that isn't forced into the same conforming boxes that so many artists are pressured into.



© Copyright 2015 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842696-Chasing-girls-chasing-boys-with-Ingrid-Michaelson