*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842723-Calling-me-maybe-with-Carly-Rae-Jepsen
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#842723 added February 27, 2015 at 12:11pm
Restrictions: None
Calling me maybe with Carly Rae Jepsen
** Image ID #2026596 Unavailable **



Song: "Call Me Maybe"
Artist: Carly Rae Jepsen
Album: Curiosity (EP)

It doesn't seem like that long ago the U.S. Olympic Swimming Team was helping this video go viral   with their rendition of the song during the 2012 Summer Games in London. It was a #1 hit in fifteen countries, and a top three hit in another eight. It's been covered by over a dozen different artists, with diversity ranging from Lil' Wayne to Miranda Cosgrove to Cookie Monster. It was nominated for two Grammys (but lost both), and was the bestselling single of 2012 with over 10 million sold/downloaded that year alone. A number of groups besides the U.S. Olympic Swimming Team have recorded lip sync videos to the song, including the Harvard University baseball team, Miami Dolphins cheerleaders, and even the United States Armed Forces.

A few entries ago, I mentioned Jimmy Fallon's "Lip Sync Battles" in connection with "Boom! Shaking the room with DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. While those are far and away my favorite sketches he does on The Tonight Show, a very close second are when he and his house band The Roots team up with a musical guest and perform a song using elementary school classroom instruments like the kazoo, recorder, xylophone, cowbells, and maracas (among many others).

Here's a bonus video of them performing "Call Me Maybe":



If you liked that, I also highly recommend checking out his cover of "Blurred Lines" with Robin Thicke  , which is just as amazing.

I really enjoy this Carly Rae Jepsen song, though. It's fun, easy to sing along with, and whether from the song itself or the fact that so many people have had fun recording versions of it, clearly a song that makes people smile. I know a lot of people are sick of hearing the song since it was so overplayed a couple years ago, but I'll listen to it every time my iTunes shuffles it onto my playlist.



© Copyright 2015 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/842723-Calling-me-maybe-with-Carly-Rae-Jepsen