*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843121-WHAT-IS-PROGRESS
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#843121 added March 3, 2015 at 10:39am
Restrictions: None
WHAT IS PROGRESS?
Blog City Prompt: What is your opinion on the idea of competition? Is competition a good thing or a bad thing, and does it promote progress at all?


I think is all depends on how you define 'progress'.

In the American culture, professional sports are the biggest, most visible competition. A great deal of money is involved for the producers and performers (athletes). The structure exists to promote the concept and practice of competition all the way down including the elementary schools.

Another giant competitive structure supports the international Olympics. The Olympics feature individual skills and present the best athletes  and teams in the world.

The world of glamor and fashion compete designers, manufacturers and models to sell their goods. Then the retailers have a go at it.

Music and films compete for the recording, broadcast and ticket sales, investments, and the very profitable honors and awards.

Huge industries have grown around these competitions with success judged mainly by financial measures. The advertising and promotional agencies and mufti-corporations are part of all of it. It is how we judge progress.

If a writer steps into this world with a successful book or screenplay, their work immediately is merged into the competition for someone's dollar---agents, publishers, promoters, magazines, newspapers, etc.

This is the world we live in, and that's how it operates. I note that WDC is filled with contests, which stimulate and inspire some outstanding work. Essentially the result of competition.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with a person who does not feel it necessary to compete. To compete requires a certain adjustment to receiving rejection and negative criticism, which causes a certain hardening of your personal shell. You can progress privately if you choose.

Write on (with a smile!)...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.

© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/843121-WHAT-IS-PROGRESS