*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844774-SIMPLE-THE-DISTANT-GOAL
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#844774 added March 23, 2015 at 10:41am
Restrictions: None
SIMPLE, THE DISTANT GOAL
John Barth said, in a Paris Review Interview, “I start every new project saying, “This one’s going to be simple, this one’s going to be simple.” It never turns out to be.” Do you find it to be true for you as well? Use it in regard to writing or any other thing that you wish.


It seems like if I'm trying to write a flash fiction piece, it has to be simple, few characters, only one or two locations and a direct situation that can be resolved.  I find that very difficult.

My books (I'm into my third novel) always have large casts, many locations and epic sized stories. They average around forty chapters and some are quite long. I don't even think about keeping it simple. I love the complexity and overlapping story lines.

The challenge is keeping it all straight, logical and easy to follow. It becomes a giant puzzle that all the pieces must fit and flow forward to support the main story line. There's a hard exercise called 'delete', which comes during the reviewing and editing phase.

The most fun is the outline and drafting time when there are few rules and creativity charges ahead. But to finish a book one has to try to read it out loud and face reality. Is it a good story, does it hold together. That part, I believe, is a learned skill. I've certainly struggled with it. It does get better.

Now I fear I shall have to go back and do a new edition of my first book (Tears of the Willow) because I have learned so much.

The learning part never stops!

Write on...>>>iggy*Boat*

** Image ID #1264233 Unavailable ** Blog City image small I'm docked at Talent Pond's Blog Harbor, a safe port for bloggers to connect.


© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/844774-SIMPLE-THE-DISTANT-GOAL