*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848927-Gut-instinct
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Raine
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1827494
Just a spot for random musings. No one ever accused me of being a conscientious blogger.
#848927 added May 6, 2015 at 8:16pm
Restrictions: None
Gut instinct
Just finished the book block proofs (or galleys) for Styx and Stones and now it's a matter of waiting for a release date. It's been a long journey with this series and I've learned a great deal along the way. The most important thing, perhaps, is to trust my own instincts.





When I wrote Pantheon, I was told over and over "first person POV doesn't sell". Fact: It's sold and fairly well. It also is a story that doesn't work in third person.





When I started Hades, the gripe was that it was about Hercules and not Athene. It was third person not first. Fact: It is the best selling of the series and the best liked. .





Elysia was too different, too edgy. The love scene was written from the man's POV. Fact: The differences add up to a different perspective on the over-arcing plotline.





Styx has been another journey. Walt is a nerd. It;s difficult to play a man like that as Alpha Romance Hero. The first version of the book I tossed out except for two chapters and started over from scratch. That was 130K words discarded. The final version is 170K and a much tighter story than the first. I like it. I'll have to see what y'all think.






© Copyright 2015 Raine (UN: crystalraine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Raine has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/848927-Gut-instinct