*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849162-More-than-just-sprinting
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #2041226
Yet another superhero tale, but it's original, ha.
#849162 added May 9, 2015 at 11:30pm
Restrictions: None
More than just sprinting...
         Sure, running may seem futile, but what would you do in this situation? Didn't think so.
         But like I said, I never ran this fast, nor did I think it was possible just at a minor strength. Estimated, I felt that I reached 15 MPH. I have my sister's help with this and it's been a great help testing my limit for running. Something was off though. I'm no track runner, but the shortcuts I use going over peoples' fences are too tall, especially those with hedges, but I somehow make it by jumping over a few things.
         The funny part is that it only falters my speed when I jump. Matter of fact, and I have no idea how I did this, but with a chair, table, a coincidentally placed ladder, and a sturdy tree branch around 18 houses later, I jump up there to rest albeit fatigue wasn't hitting me at all. I check my phone again and realize two minutes passed. Adrenaline rushed through me as I jump down, yes jump, another speed spike happened and I'm at the main road for the city.
         Passing a bicyclist, whose speed was lower than mine going downhill, he tripped and fell. Having that helpful nerve, I decided to help him out. I take off again, this time, doubled my first speed. Stopping for a short second, I see that I'm halfway there now. Just to pass this heavily trafficked street leading to my school and the construction site that... oh.
         Another minute passed again (7:43) as I run down the street, between the lanes of the roads and see which spot is easy to fit through. Not even these jerks and bends are stopping me. I can probably also be that reason the car behind me crashed just now.
         Not reading the signs, I accidentally smashed through them as I entered the site.
         "Hey, kid!" a worker yells. "Get out of here. It's too dangerous!" His plea fell upon deaf ears as I run my way over frames of the buildings, jump over debris, and somehow get through those large concrete pipes they have here. I don't know how I grabbed this sledgehammer either but I'm glad I did. Where I entered was the only exit and I don't think I want to make my way toward it again.
         Instead, I just smash the wooden fence and see a red light about to come.
         My senses somehow got the better of me as my subconscious makes me focus my inner strength, sharpen my vision, and set my goal (especially since he only has a few seconds left).
         Once the light turns yellow, I instantaneously boosted my speed somehow and closed my eyes since everything was a blur. I crossed that intersection just after the red light appeared, almost making a police officer attempt to arrest me but couldn't since the wind from it made him spill his coffee, as far to what I can see.
         Seeing my designated target, I don't know how but I slowed down to an actual speed a human can do and pass the door.
         Unfortunately, there was this security guard that happens to be very strict with time. Sure, school starts at 7:45, but classes begin at 8. It's a stupid rule here that I hope they get rid of soon. She uses a camera every day that's linked to her laptop on her desk here that lets her freeze-frame the students coming in at microseconds. Very advanced. "Very worth it," I quote.
         And another bad luck fact, I'm the one that usually comes a minute before and lucky to not get detention, so I'm a regular and the guard knows me.
         Seeing her shocked and interested expression though, I can see that something was up. Most of the time, I always have at least 57 seconds left, but when I see the screen, only 0.34 was left when I entered the building entirely.
         "Hmm. Congratulations, Matthew," she says, "you just beat the record of the most closest time ever in the history of this school, by a landslide, I might add."
         Very interesting too. "Huh. Was the last record?"
         "At least 9 seconds. You really pulled it this time, Matthew."
         "(Sigh) Sorry, Lisa. I don't know what happened to me today. Well, I guess I'll just leave you alone. Wouldn't want your boss snapping at you."
         "No worries. At least you're early. I'll see you later."
         Walking down the hall to my locker, I suddenly see some allies nearby. Perfect way to start this day.
         "Rich'! Charlotte!" I exclaim. They look over and smile.
         "Matt!" she exclaims.
         "Hey, bro. Why are you late?" Richard asks.
         "Ask Lisa. And... I think... I can tell you how and why during lunch. Somehow I make it with 34 microseconds to spare.
         "Damn, guy. You just beat the record!"
         "So it was said." I look around. "Where are the others?"
         "They still need to talk to the other group. We might see them soon," Charlotte replies. Did I mention that this school isn't what it seems?
         Sure, it may look like your average 5 story building, but the geography here is a bit different. I'd tell you, but I need to get through some other things right now, like the tests I have to endure within the next 14 minutes.
         Joy...


RaNd0Mk1D8o3I
© Copyright 2015 RaNd0Mk1D8o3I (UN: rand0mk1d8o3i at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RaNd0Mk1D8o3I has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/849162-More-than-just-sprinting