*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851634-Eric-Church-young-musician
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#851634 added June 14, 2015 at 11:24pm
Restrictions: None
Eric Church, young musician
         I really like the music of Eric Church. He's a country singer, song-writer with a definite twang. I didn't know who he was until I went to the Grand Ol' Opry 3 years ago. He was performing. I thought it was bad luck that the only night we could go some unheard of singer would be the big performer of the night. But it turned out he made me a fan.

         He didn't use a band that night. He just played acoustic guitar with a microphone. Of course, he wore his big hat. He's only recently been photographed without it. He looks like the boy next door without it. His mini concert was wonderful. He one song that hadn't been released yet. That country boy voice left a big impression.

         Since then, I've heard him on the radio a lot. I've been impressed with his family themes, traditional values, and the influence of religion he weaves in. Don't get me wrong, he's not a religious singer. He praises "the Hag" (Merle Haggard) and drinking. But when I listen to the words, you get the feeling that he's writing about real life, about working class people.

         This year I bought an album of his for my I-pod. I listen as I go walking. One outstanding song is about being glad he's not what he almost was. It reminds me of Garth Brooks'  "Unanswered Prayers". In this song, he tells how life throws curve balls at us and we change our strategies. An injury took him away from a football career and scholarship. Other things took him out of wrong relationships and wrong jobs. Now he's loving his life as a musician.

         Another song I enjoy from that album is "A Long Line of Sinners Like Me". Every verse is so clever. While it's meant to be a little funny, a religious person would have to agree there is some truth to it, even from an evangelical point of view.

         His music is peppy enough to keep my walking at a good speed. His words are profound enough to make me think. He's a poet and a good musician.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/851634-Eric-Church-young-musician