*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852341-THE-QUESTIONABLE-VILLA
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1962205
You are what you write. Illusion and Reality...I reside in between. Where are you?
#852341 added June 24, 2015 at 9:42am
Restrictions: None
THE QUESTIONABLE VILLA
Blog City image small Prompt: Use these words in a story, poem or anyway you want.
         Malibu, bluejays, plates, lemonade, pancakes, syrup and a dog named Bob. Don't forget Bob!

         
.THE QUESTIONABLE VILLA
         
         The new summer villa was in Malibu. At least her husband, Quentin, called it a villa. She looked skeptically at the one bathroom and the other half bath. Well, maybe he could shave in there. And the bedroom with french doors opening out toward the ocean. The bed would have to be replaced. God knows what the term ‘previously owned’ meant. The truck with their summer furniture just parked and the front door jammed open. The movers would just have to bring their own bed from Palm Springs. She shuddered to think about where she’d sleep tonight. Maybe one of the sun loungers.
         
         Antonia rated the kitchen adequate. At least the ice maker in the fridge seemed to be still working. Opening all the cupboards, she found a set of cups and plates that must have belonged to somebody’s grandmother. The silverware in the drawer looked new like intruders from a stainless factory. The back door opened out to the wooden deck that featured the ‘ocean view’ that Quentin declared made the $2000 a week totally worth it.
         
         She did like the little walled garden on the east side. A couple blue jays splashed in the fountain, adding their noise to the traffic passing too near the front of the house. She could imagine having coffee, pancakes with lots of butter and syrup on the little table under the umbrella and watch the sunrise. But then the thought of actually having to make the pancakes over a hot stove sort of diminished the idea. Now if Quentin would agree to a daily housekeeper that cooked? She could always use her money, but then Quentin would have a fit. But with her money they wouldn’t be renting a Malibu oceanfront cottage, they’d be in Santa Barbara in a real villa.
         
         Avoiding the movers and all the fussing with Quentin, she settled into one of the loungers they’d just placed out on the deck. A coldpak from the car provided a container of lemonade, which Antonia sipped while she tried to find something nice to see in the ocean view. She almost dozed off when she realized someone had approached the front of the deck from the beach.
         
         “Hello? I’m sorry, I must have woke you up.” Tall with sun-blonde hair, his smile changed her entire idea of ocean view.
         
         “Oh. No problem. I was just relaxing.” Her eyes scanned his tan body with approval.
         
         “I noticed you’re moving in, so I stopped by to say welcome to the neighborhood. I’m Edison. I have the house next door.”
         
         Just then a dog barked and came running up to rub against Edison then stick his nose through the railing. His tail wagged a mile a minute.
         
         “And this is my faithful companion, Bob.
         
         Antonia got up to lean against the railing. “Well Bob. Happy to meet you.” She let the large dog smell her hand. “And Edison, we’ll have to invite you over for barbecue as soon as all the hardware is working. My husband does what he calls, ‘man’s meat’ with a really good sauce. By the way, my name is Antonia.” She gave him her special smile.
         
         “Thanks, I’d like that. I’ll have you folks over once you’re settled in. Bob loves to have company. So...we’re off for our run. Once again, welcome, and we’ll be talking to you Antonia.” The broad shoulders turned, the dog barked, and they were off.
         
         “Bye.” She watched the attractive man and his energetic dog run across the sand toward the splashing waves. Could be an interesting summer after all, she thought. One advantage to summer in Malibu, the neighbors are close by.
         
         Summer fantasies...>>>iggy *Boat*
         
         
banner with iguana The WYRM group banner.


© Copyright 2015 iguanamountain (UN: iguanamountain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
iguanamountain has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/852341-THE-QUESTIONABLE-VILLA