*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856320-Even-Watermelons-Can-Be-Magical
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #2003271
Now a residence for BC and BCOF items. Random bloggisness wil apear in POTPOURRI.
#856320 added August 3, 2015 at 10:28am
Restrictions: None
Even Watermelons Can Be Magical
BCOF:


A WATERMELON CINQUAIN

Seedy,
but so juicy!
Sun shines on the picknick..
I spit the seeds at my sister.
I grin.


Blog City:


MY MAGIC RING

When I was a little boy, about a half century ago, I was digging a hole in the back yard, under the catalpa tree.  I hit a rock with my little shovel and had to spend about an hour getting it out of the way so I could continue with my digging; at the time it seemed like an hour.  When I finally tugged out the rock, there, at the bottom of the hole was a ring.  It was just a simple gold band, but I was sure it was precious.  I showed it to my mother and she explained to me:  "You're such a lucky boy.  This is definitely a magic ring.  See how it's such a perfect circle?  See how it glows?  And besides that, every ring that is ever found in a hole under a catalpa tree, under a rock, is magic!"  I put the ring away in my treasure box and dreamed about all the amazing things I would be able to do with my magic ring.

Time went by.  I forgot about my magic ring.  My life didn't turn out the way I had planned.  I was living in the city.  Living in my car.  All my possessions in the trunk.  I was down to a pocketful of change.  Not enough to buy a bottle.  I needed a drink bad.  My hands were shaking.  I don't know why, but I thought about my old treasure box and my magic ring.
I hadn't thought about that in so long.  Maybe it was in my trunk.  Maybe I could pawn something for enough to by a bottle.  I found the box and when I opened it my Magic Ring glowed!  I had difficulty taking it out of the box, my hands were shaking so.  I thought surely this would keep me in liquor for a while.  I really wanted my hands to stop shaking.  When I found a pawn shop, before going in I took the ring out of my pocket.  My hand was still shaking so much that I dropped it.  It rolled behind me.

"Hey mister, you dropped this."  When I turned around she was holding my Magic Ring.  Her name was Julie.  She was 19.  She had long brown, curly hair and beautiful brown eyes.  She was wearing a cowboy hat.  She was smiling at me, in spite of the way I looked.  I asked her to keep it and she put it on her finger.  That's when I magically came to life.

© Copyright 2015 Geoff (UN: rennur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Geoff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/856320-Even-Watermelons-Can-Be-Magical