*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857565-Yellowstone-day-16
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#857565 added August 16, 2015 at 9:54am
Restrictions: None
Yellowstone day 16
Has any one seen Anna Pigeon around the ranger station?

The only rodeos I attended were in Texas in the late 1960's. The bucking horses were actually trained with a bucking strap to buck. I sat beside the entrance to the stadium where the riders and chutes were easily accessed by riders. When one of the bucking horses was led out a rider removed the bucking strap, swung gracefully up on the horse and rode away. The horse had just been used in the arena as a bucking bronco. He dutifully flailed his back feet into the air and dumped the rider before the timer blew.

Another thing I heard and saw that day was an announcer said, "Don't worry about the calf roping the animals are just stunned and there is a veterinarian outside that will stay with them until they revive." So I looked out back as several calves were hauled out of the arena comatose. Well, actually the dead calves with broken necks were being loaded into a meat wagon.

But, I still watch bull riding and will go to the rodeo. I guess I must be a little blood thirsty. Hmm!

I rode and taught English riding. All horse sports have an element of danger for either or both horse and rider. Tendon injuries, back sprains and other types of injuries are possible in the world of horses for the creatures. But, after 40 years of horse experience I can tell you if the animal is treated properly he loves the work and feels a kinship with his rider. Well cared for horses have fewer injuries.

Lets see aw yes the question. The rider because the horse has no choice.

Grass does not think it responds to environmental pressure. Plants do respond however to changes in environment with higher growth or roots spreading farther to get better nourishment or deeper to access water in a dry year. Or, we can paint faces on them, give them voices and make animated movies for children, that's fun.

There is a bison farm near us, about 16 miles or so away. When I visited the fences were high but the wire did not impress me when I saw how big and strong the Bison looked. Three Bison were standing still shoulder to shoulder together watching us watch them. I was taking pictures. They looked still like statues. Every time I looked up from the Camera they seemed a little closer maybe only six inches or a foot closer. At first I thought I was seeing things. But, I wasn't. They were stalking us. Later at the gift shop I picked up a pamphlet that told people to stay several feet away from the fencing because Bison stalk the visitors and sometimes charge the fences. Those three Bison moved shoulder to shoulder like they were joined and followed us along the fences only moving when we were not looking at them, very spooky.

Guess I'll go read for the afternoon.*Reading*

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/857565-Yellowstone-day-16