*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859139-Long-Ago-In-the-Mountains-continued
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#859139 added September 4, 2015 at 3:19am
Restrictions: None
Long Ago, In the Mountains (continued)
Martin's thoughts lingered with Grace. He felt her pain even as he sat, waiting for Jess to come out of the operating room. He began to worry. It had been hours since the doctors began their work on Jess. What was happening in there? As he wondered, the chief doctor appeared at the door, his eyes weary; but when he saw Martin, he knew he must tell him.

Martin was on his feet. "Doctor, how is my little girl?"

"We repaired the damage on her cheek. She took the operation quite good, in fact. She is a brave girl, your daughter."

"Thank you. How is she, really? Please, tell me." Martin begged with his eyes.

"As I said, she is brave. She will recover but it will take weeks. She may not know you when she wakes up."

"What do you mean? Her brain is damaged?" Suddenly, Martin was afraid.

"No, oh no, do not worry about her brain. When she wakes up, she may not recognize you or your family. It is just a reaction to her fall. You do realize she fell from a great height?"

"She will regain her old self, will she?" Martin begged.

"No question about that. She will regain her old self after a few weeks. It actually depends on how well she recovers."

Martin heaved a sigh and he felt his heart quietened. At that moment, the operating door opened and two mail nurses were pushing the hospital gurney with Jess in it, still under anesthesia.

"My God," Martin sighed, "she looks terribly pale."

"She will regain her color in a little while. Just go ahead and stay with your daughter." The doctor tried his best to calm Martin.

In the room, and alone at last with Jess, Martin sat and held Jess' hand. She was cold to the touch but she was breathing well. The nurses kept Jess warm with more blankets, and then they left Martin alone with Jess.

In a fit of worry, Martin began to sob quietly, still holding on to Jess. He prayed, his heart almost breaking with worry. Hours later, he realized he needed to let Grace know Jess is out of surgery and breathing well.

Grace was on her way to the hospital, though accompanied by Martha. She was quiet and her thoughts were filled with fear. What if Jess did not recover from her fall? What if her brain had been damaged? She began to cry softly.

"I know how you feel, Grace," Martha consoled her friend. "Try not to worry too much. We should know soon how Jess is. We are only a block away from the hospital."

Grace looked at Martha, and dried her eyes with her handkerchief. Her thoughts were filled with fear - for Jess, for Martin, for the family.

As Grace and Martha walked towards Jess' hospital ward, Grace stumbled, her knees weak and shaky. But Martha was just as quick to pick her up and led her to the ward.

Martin heard the door open. He got up and when he saw Grace, he ran to her and took her in his arms. Husband and wife cried quietly in each other's embrace. Martha left them alone with Jess.

"Oh, my little girl," Grace cried as she looked at Jess. "She looks so pale." She turned to Martin. "Is she going to recover?":

"Yes, she will. The doctor was quite certain." Martin said. "You should have stayed home, Grace."

"I need to be with her." Grace sniffed. "I need to know she is going to live."

"She is, our Jess is strong, the doctor said. She will recover." Martin persuaded Grace to sit at the edge of the bed and give Jess a cuddle. Grace felt better as she kissed Jess on the cheek.

The nurse came in quietly, with Martha. "I am sorry, folks," she said. "I need to give your daughter another injection. Please move away from her bed."

Martha led Grace to the window as Martin followed. They huddled together, prayers in their hearts. After a while, the nurse comforted both Grace and Martin, telling them Jess will be all right. Then, she left the room.

"You will have to go back home, Grace. And Martha, thank you for being with Grace. Please take her home and make sure she gets rested."

"I will, Martin," Martha said. "I can come back tomorrow and relieve you?"

"Yes, I know. But I believe I will stay with Jess until I know she will wake up from her surgery."

"Let me say with you, please?" Grace asked.

"No, Grace, please go home with Martha. You need to rest." Martin led Grace and Martha to the door.

"But I do want to stay, please?" Grace insisted.

"I tell you what, Grace. Why don't you and Martha head home. Tomorrow you can both come back and I will go home so I can change out of my clothes."

"But you will let me know if Jess comes out of her coma during the night?" Grace said.

"Of course, I will. Now, do please go and take care." Martin closed the ward door quietly and took his seat by Jess' bed.

(to be continued.)




Like •
Comment


© Copyright 2015 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/859139-Long-Ago-In-the-Mountains-continued