*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860204-raising-children-is-often-humourous
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#860204 added September 16, 2015 at 2:48pm
Restrictions: None
raising children is often humourous
From a humorous perspective, what is the worst thing parents can do to their children?

I truly don't know the answer to this.

So I'll give you an example of one that always had me curious about the human mind. I raised 4 children. Three of them were rambunctious boys. I used to yell a lot. Mostly, they obeyed but I had to yell to get things done. In an effort to bring some peace into the house I made a pact with myself to quit yelling at the children. Besides, I thought they were tired of the loudness as I tried to keep order. *Rant*

So I did. I started talking to them in a quiet voice. Whenever I wanted them to behave or get something done I spoke quietly. This really brought some worth while quietness into the household so I kept it up. *Silent*

One day, I overheard a conversation between two of the boys. It went something like this: One said, "Do you think we did something really bad?" "I don't know," the other said. "I liked it better when she was yelling all the time. At least you knew what she was thinking." "Yeah, me too."

I really should not have used direct quotes but this gives you an idea of how the difference in parenting impacted the children.
They were never bad children, just rowdy and full of life. The oldest is about 53. The youngest is 39.

I think the worst thing is when you don't give them enough information about common household events so they can't figure out what to think about any given situation.

Something I was watching on TV a few months ago said the frontal cortex of the brain is not mature until people reach their late teens or early adulthood. So young people don't always recognize the information they need to make good decisions.

Now they tell me. *BigSmile*

© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860204-raising-children-is-often-humourous