*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861839-Sicario
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#861839 added October 5, 2015 at 10:48am
Restrictions: None
Sicario
Benicio del Toro is great as always. Josh Brolin is ...well Josh Brolin and I love Emily Blunt for taking on the role but....think the script wasn't very kind toward women agents and perhaps just women in general.

Overall LOVE the movie and the thought provoking messages that came with it.

However, as is often the case, the things that irked me have a way of metastasizing over my entire view of the movie. Maybe after I get them out here I'll just be left with the tasty remains of a really honest and well crafted film.

Basically I hate how weak they portray Blunts character. It's believable and all but we've seen enough of the weak heroin that can't seem to make it on her own.

SPOILER ALERT!

My first issue comes when Kate (Blunts character) can't muster up the courage to demand more information for herself. She has to get her partner Reggie (Daniel Kaluuya) to do it for her. [I could rant about the only black character being portrayed as an ever anger black man but whatever, I'll let that slide. Perhaps he's just angry from his Iraq tour.]
Not a major faux pax in the grand scheme but it irked me.

Next we have Kate demonstrating just how green and hopelessly naive she is by going against Matt's (Brolin) better judgement and stalking into a bank thus getting her (and her partners) face on camera. I'm no cop/detective but even I can see that the BIG picture is what she should be after, not the peanut of a case she could build from the bad bank accounts alone.
On to issue number 2.2: She brings a decent dude (nice Jon Bernthal cameo) back to her place to blow off a little after Juarez, Mexico trip steam. All seems well, after all her own partner vouched for the guy. He turns out to be connected to the bank deal *mild shocker* and Kate loses her S! I mean talk about absolutely no poker face! Kudos to her for getting a little aggressive in her fight/flight reaction but point is she'd be dead if not for Alejandro (del Toro).

*pause, will finish later*

© Copyright 2015 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/861839-Sicario