*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864289-Awwww-memories
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1910923
Looks like I may have a ton of these, so this is collection 1 of Reflections
#864289 added October 27, 2015 at 2:10pm
Restrictions: None
Awwww, memories....
Day 2
Halloween Controversy - Many Christian Churches encourage their congregations to boycott Halloween Celebrations. What is your opinion, is Halloween pure evil?

http://reviewofreligions.org/5071/halloween-harmless-or-harmful-fun/

PandaPaws-Bewitching Bear (182)


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

God Bless my mom for trying to instill Christian beliefs in me at an early age. In most ways she succeeded but it always baffled me when she said we couldn't go trick-or-treating. Thankfully there were always "Fall Festivals" at the local church that we attended otherwise I we were bound to revolt.

What confused me the most was that I remembered very vividly going trick-or-treating back in Baltimore before my parents moved to the south and I guess rediscovered their religion. I even remember her encouraging me to go down the hill of our apartment complex and ask the creepy neighbor that was all decked out in full costume and creepy makeup, banging on a drum and staring at us without blinking. If I were a weaker child I'd say that event scarred me but in reality it was just memorable. I don't remember any of the other houses we visited that day.

To answer the question: I don't think the holiday in itself is pure evil. Like anything, it's what you choose to do with it and how you decide to celebrate that can make any day/holiday/event evil.

Though she'll never admit it, my own mother knows this but is afraid her kids will pick up some bad habits I guess.... I mean call me crazy but how can she tell us not to watch Harry Potter or read vampire books but she loves Hocus Pocus and Charmed?!

At the end of the day I think my mom just liked to go with the Christian flow so to speak and did her best by my brother and I.

Will my kids go trick-or-treating? Probably, but we'll also be attending the church's fall festivals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Prompt: Is there an image, a story-line, or a scene that keeps coming up and persisting in your writing? Do you know why? Do you put it there knowingly or does it show up on its own, unannounced?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Great question.........never really put much thought to it. I would say 'no', at least not at this point in my career. I do lean toward girl protagonists b/c I don't think there are enough of those and of course: GIRL POWER!

© Copyright 2015 A*Monaing*Faith (UN: afaith at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
A*Monaing*Faith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864289-Awwww-memories