*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862499-Day-29---Setting-Description
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #2059791
Prep for Nanowrimo 2015 - I completed my 50,000 words by November 14, 2015.
#862499 added October 31, 2015 at 12:45pm
Restrictions: None
Day 29 - Setting Description
Thursday, Oct. 29
*Required: Setting Description â–¼
Describe a setting in words. Use all five senses and make your reader experience the setting as if he or she were there. Add the setting to your setting database (if applicable.)

Taygen pulled her car off Jubilee Drive and slowed as she pulled into the driveway of a large brick home. She pulled into the spot just off to the side of the house so that she did not block the long driveway that ran to the back yard meeting up with the two car garage. She sat a moment looking up at its grand exterior hardly believing she was now living here.
The front porch wrapped itself around one side of the house to a second door that she knew lead into a mudroom. The main front door was grand with large window. She liked that it was left to show its wood panels. The porch was painted white with the top accent a lovely dark green giving it an Anne of Green Gables feel.

The wind rustled the leaves in the huge maple that stood close to the street. Its foliage obscured the view across the street but left the view towards the park available giving an open feel that soothed her. Its September leaves were still green, but a few of the trees that lined the street were beginning to turn to hues of red and yellow. It would be a blaze of colour in a month or so.

Grabbing just her purse she got out of her car and walked across the grass to get to the cement walkway that led up from the sidewalk. She climbed the three steps that brought her up onto the front porch. There was something soothing about footsteps across a wooden deck. She rapped on the door, still feeling odd about using her key. Mutt`s back made her smile. She could hear the mumble of Myra`s voice telling the door to quiet, then the door opened.

"You're here!" Myra sounded pleased and Taygen relaxed, not realizing she had been holding her breath. "You don't need to knock, you know. You live here now."

They laughed. The sound warming the foyer as the sound of dancing dog feet played over the ceramic flooring.

Taygen bent to pet the dog and give him the attention he so dearly wanted. She looked over to the steps to see the sleek Tabby cat waiting her turn. When she moved in that direction the cat gave up her aloofness and sprang forward to be within Taygen's reach. She petting the cat greeting her like an old friend.

"As you can see we are all so glad you are here."

"Hi Taygen." Thomas called from the kitchen.

"I have him fixing a leak in the kitchen sink." Myra stage whispered to her.

"You have me doing no such thing... " Thomas said emerging into the foyer from the kitchen doorway. He stood grinning as he whipped his hands on an old rag.

Myra lead her up the dark wooden stairway. Light from the windows fell across the carpet runner. Taygen ran her hand along the smooth banister and smiled at the few creek the old steps groaned as they made their way up.

Tabby spirited up the steps and went to wait at Taygen\s door. Mutt followed along behind.

"I went in and aired it out earlier. The windows are still open." Myra said as she opened the door.

Taygen stepped into the large space. She loved the hardwood floors and could image a few woven rugs by her bed. Right now the room stood empty and it echoed their voices.

"I only brought a few things. I have friends coming with the rental truck to help bring in my heavier things."

"Thomas and I can help.... too bad Alex isn't here yet. He's coaching this afternoon. I can hardly wait for you to meet him."


*Bonus: Setting Drawing OR Same Scene/Different Viewpoints â–¼
Drawing: Get out your pencil (or Excel or Visio or Autocad if you're the nerdy type) and draw a physical sketch of your setting. This can be a map of a town, woods or valley, a layout of a room with furniture and walls, a floor plan of the castle, or any other physical setting. It doesn't matter if your art skills are lacking. Just get a feel for where obstacles and objects are in relation to one another.
Same Scene/Different Viewpoints: Write a brief description of your setting from the viewpoints of two or more different characters.

I want to map out the area that Taygen will live. I drew her new place and the layout of the inside of the house.




Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

** Image ID #1855238 Unavailable ** Signature for 2015 Game of Thrones Challenge - Dark Drreamscapes Group Winter trail scene
© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/862499-Day-29---Setting-Description