*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864845-All-nighter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#864845 added November 1, 2015 at 9:24pm
Restrictions: None
All nighter
         Remember when you were in college and you could stay up all night studying for exams or finishing a term paper? You could still make it to class at 8 am. You muddled through. Or when you volunteered at a homeless shelter, and stayed up all night because of the arrangements and wanting to be accessible if needed? Or just traveling or working really late? You managed without falling apart, passed all your exams, etc. You didn't fall apart.

         That changes as you get older. I work in retail and the nasty season is coming. We had to prepare last night for the first big seasonal sale today. I worked with the signage crew to do signs for a 60 page sale booklet! We didn't handle electronics. The manager of that department knew where everything was, so he was the best candidate. We did everything else, including clothing. So we went to work at midnight, since a new pay week starts at midnight, and were scheduled to 8. We got an extra hour in because of the time change, but even then, I didn't leave until 8:25 new time. I was on my feet for over 9 hours, with no naps yesterday.

         I haven't been able to sleep all day, but I'm exhausted. A couple of times, I was light-headed and lay down, but my eyes suddenly were wide open. I'm in a fog now, but I still can't sleep. I've had a house full of kids, and they didn't wear me out either. I'm back at work tomorrow at 10 am. I'm wondering how I'll make it. They'll cut my hours after Christmas, so I'll just have to struggle through for now.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/864845-All-nighter