*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/865869-What-Novels-Need-Social-Media-Seasons--Finishing-Strong
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#865869 added November 10, 2015 at 9:45pm
Restrictions: None
What Novels Need, Social Media, Seasons, & Finishing Strong
Today's blogs...

Blog City – Day 614


Prompt: Each person has a like or dislike when it comes to novels and some people will not bother reading certain kinds of novels. What do you think a novel should entail to make you read it?

I focus on character when I write. Good authentically real characters charm me... they are flawed, but they persevere. I am willing to follow them through their story and cheer them on. I am also willing to 'hate' the villian and want to see them fall.

Character lends itself to story... plot unfolds in what the character wants and how they are willing to go after it. Conflict with their obstacles give rise to wanting the main character to prevail and the antagonist to fail.

I read a lot of romance novels. Authors like Jill Shalvis craft authentic characters and their stories play out in a way that makes you want to see them overcome the obstacles that try to stand in their way. The juicy sex scenes are also a bonus. The scenes are 'romantica' - romantic erotica - where a loving relationship is heated up in a way that is as beautiful as it is sensually sexual.

I hope that my stories can emulate her tone and style.

I do read more serious novels. Character is still important regardless of genre.

Border for my personal use.


Welcome To My Reality - November Prompts


22. What role does social media play in your life and why?

Social media is both a blessing and a curse. I find Facebook a great way to connect with friends and family all over the world. I have made some wonderful friends here at Writing.com and I am able to connect with them on Facebook. The problem is the games... I love them, but I also find I can loose hours playing them. I find when I have Facebook open on my computer it tells me every time someone posts something new... that can be really distracting when you are trying to focus on your writing. I also find that my email account gets bombarded with each post... that is just crazy. During NaNoWriMo I have closed it on my computer - only going on twice so far to email a family member so that I could thank them for the Family Tree booklet they sent me - I have been able to reconnect with family that was 'lost' to me.

I have a Twitter account. I do not use it much as I still find it a bit overwhelming, but I do like the Nanowrimo links as I am able to do word sprints with others around the world - I will admit I have not done this yet this month. I opened my account for this Nano connection.

I know there are other aspects of the social media world but for now I am comfortable having my toe in.

24. What is your favourite season of the year and why?

Each season has its pluses and minuses. Fall is fabulous for the colours and the cooler sweater weather, but as it lengthens and gets darker it starts to take on a more depressing feel. Cold rain, like we are experiencing tonight, is a real downer. I do like that the cooler weather sends the bees and bugs into their hibernation modes.

Spring is lovely. A reawakening. My allergies don't appreciate the changes but I like the longer sunny days and the rain becomes warmer.
Summer is glorious with its early green and warm weather. Hot sunny days when you can head to the beach are great. Long days full of sun make me smile.

Winter is probably my least favourite season... once Christmas is put to bed for another year, I am wishing it away. I don't like the short days and the darkness. I do not like the severe cold days and southern Ontario is damp making it worse than my northern Ontario hometown. Sun on fresh snow is breathtaking, but not enough to make me want to like it that much.

I would say my favourite months are September and October - early fall - colourful and fresh. Back to school and sweater weather. Trail hikes without the excessive allergies or the bugs. You just have to avoid outdoor garbages and dumpsters because the yellow jackets are going stupid - this also means no open window while I am driving.

27. What is your biggest hope for the last two months of the year?

I want to finish strong. I am doing NaNoWriMo this month. I am currently over 37,000 words so I am expecting a win. I hope to continue working on this story as it is something that I am currently dealing with in my life... the story is a fictionalized version of course - I have added in elements to make it more dramatic and put in a happy outcome. I have also made my characters a little younger so that they have a chance to really change.
I am not sure if I am going to get my Poetic Exploration poems all completed. I may have to withdraw from the workshop and ask for a continuation for the next time the session runs.

My personal life is in upheaval and I need to make some serious decisions in the near future. I am hoping that these changes do not diminish my writing time extensively, but only time will tell. I am hoping supply work will pickup, but I am also thinking I am going to have to take on something else for evenings and weekends so that I can support myself.

© Copyright 2015 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/865869-What-Novels-Need-Social-Media-Seasons--Finishing-Strong