*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/866536-Films-and-Writers-Produce-Lots-of-Characters
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#866536 added November 19, 2015 at 3:38pm
Restrictions: None
Films and Writers Produce Lots of Characters
Has a character in a movie you've seen ever been related to a character in a story or any other kind of writing you've done? Tell us about it (and no spoilers please ). What is a spoiler?? *Shock2*

Manx Cat from Japan




Characters in movies quite often relate, in my mind, to actions in everyday life. For instance, Sherlock Holmes is being recreated within many stories in books such as The Baker Street Series by Michael Robertson.

I first read Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle stories in books as a child, now the character is on TV and in Movies. Laurie R. King also writes a book series that is very popular about Holmes. Each of these media situations keeps the essence of Holmes but manages to bring him into a more modern scene. It interests me to find out that there are many avid Sherlock Holmes clubs and groups who try to solve crimes by Holmes’s methods.

In my own writing, I have never actually looked at my characters as being clones of any character I have seen in a film or in real life. Nor, have I written any pieces that use characters I have seen in movies as my own characters.

Because, I have read so many books. I have come across stories that I first read sometime in my teens and now it is in a slightly different setting by a younger author but it is exactly the same story. However, I cannot in this blog tell you what they are because I did not write down any information about the stories; (if this happens again in my life I will be sure to write down the specifics and research the authors and the stories). In the 50's and 60's I read books in libraries that might not be found in libraries any more.

Also, movies come along and use a story from a book but mess up the plot sometimes so it might as well be a different story.

Philip K. Dick wrote science fiction stories in such a way that it created extreme paranoia in others. I read 500 pages of the papers that were published as his autobiography. In what I read, his home and office were broken into and ransacked. Later Dick swore it was the USA government-FBI or others that were the culprits. His published works that I have read are all good stories with twists to them that are unique and interesting. Whether they are taken from real life experience or not will remain to be seen.

Story settings are created from the things authors know and see around them. That is why a healthy interest in the life situations we experience, the habitats we find around us, and the history we read are pertinent to writing. So far, any fictional story I have written
has a setting somewhere in the rural northeast. I have never created a specific character with any specific person in mind.

Having said that, I have a story called “Coffee Clatch” that cause a paranoia outburst in the local area. I was a member of a women’s group in Texas for awhile that met every morning for Coffee. There was also a women’s group that met for talk in a trailer park Laundromat in North Dakota where I washed my families clothing (lots of arguments over washing machines) and groups of mothers sitting on the bleachers watching horse shows etc., in Texas and in Pennsylvania.

Driving down the road somewhere back of the metropolitan city of Erie one day, on my way home from a shopping trip I was struck by how common all the rural properties were around the area. There is a large presence of 4-H. My own children were 4-Hers. So, people living on small properties raise livestock, often according to the outlines laid out in 4-h. Lots of people build nice homes on 10 to 75 acres. Usually with large barns or garages. They keep chickens, turkeys, beef cattle, goat, sheep. They hunt deer, small game, and now bear as well. They all drive trucks.

One day I sat down and using a writing prompt from my journal wrote a piece about women meeting and talking about another rural farming women in their neighborhood. It did not occur to me I might sting someone. So many women in this area are sure I am writing about them individually. I did not. But, in truth, no one notices how alike our societies have evolved. Texas and North Dakota may be far apart mile wise but they also have rural areas similar to those in Pennsylvania and New York. I figure if you are writing something that is fiction and someone else seems to recognize themselves in it, maybe you are a real writer. Writers over the centuries have come up against problems because people who do not write and only read a few types of writing do not evaluate writing well.

Writing is an art. A proper writer tells a story. A lot of journalists write fiction. If we all end up in a story somewhere I’m simply not surprised. Are You?














apondia#1781748



















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/866536-Films-and-Writers-Produce-Lots-of-Characters