*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/867161-Hot-and-Cold
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#867161 added November 27, 2015 at 11:24am
Restrictions: None
Hot and Cold
Friday, November 27, 2015

On this day in 1701, Anders Celsius was born in Sweden (he was the inventor of the Celsius thermometer). Are you a cold weather person, or a warm weather person? What do you do to combat temperatures that aren't to your liking?


The following scientific facts were taken from www.livescience.com and from an article there by Kim Ann Zimmermann.

Celsius temperature: 0° = freezing point of water
100° = water’s boiling point at the mean sea level
Celsius to Fahrenheit: Multiply by 9, divide by 5, add 32
Fahrenheit to Celsius: subtract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9

Celsius is a temperature scale developed by Andres Celsius in 1742. As his life experience he analyzed changes to the earth’s magnetic field and developed tools to find the brightness of stars. Latitude and atmospheric pressure affect the boiling point of water.

The Celsius temperature measurement is considered the most scientific of all types of temperature gauges developed. In the 1970’s countries around the world began to use Celsius as the standard to coordinate the metric measure system.

But, not the USA. Although, our scientist do use Celsius the rest of the country remains on Fahrenheit.

I have always been a warm weather person. I have a theory (not proven) that it is because I was born in Florida. I did not move to Pennsylvania until I was 2 or 3 years old. My years in Texas I appreciated the warm weather but not the bugs.*Bug*

Over the years I have adapted. I like the bug kill that happens every year in the Northern states. We spend several months a year below 52° Fahrenheit, which means no active bugs. Except of course, inside the home, that is properly heated.

Also, I know when our home is adequately heated going out in the cold with proper clothing does not bother me because I know I can get warm when I return to the inside.

I remember making sure the children had ice skates, skis, sleds for the winter play time. My second son, spent time shoveling the pond when it froze so we could all go ice skating. *HockeySkate*

Once in a while we would get snowed in or snow would close the schools. Sometimes snow still closes the schools but we usually don’t get snowed in any more. I stock up on hot chocolate, soup, and other nourishing, soul feeding warm foods.

When my Grandfather owned this property and lived here as a young man, with a family. Granddad started a school bus route with a wagon and a team of horses. He delivered children to the local school at the end of the road. It is a church now. Then It was a one room school house. He told me if the road was too high with snow and it was too difficult a drive for the horses he did not take the children. On those days, only the older children who could do the walk were able to get to school. *Horse*

I think the snow equipment is more adequate than it use to be, in the olden days.*Laugh*

Last week we had a minor electricity outage for 2 hours, in the evening. I brought the solar lamps inside to light the house.













apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2015 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/867161-Hot-and-Cold