*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/869291-Christmas-Day-Events
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#869291 added December 25, 2015 at 11:02pm
Restrictions: None
Christmas Day Events
I stayed up until after 2 am, so getting out of bed by 8 was difficult. I managed, but wasn't happy about it. I made orange cranberry relish which smelled delicious and baked the dressing that I'd made last night. I also baked sweet potatoes and set the table. I baked an apple pie, and thawed the frozen rolls. I planned breakfast for Dad in the kitchen. I swept and mopped the kitchen floor, but Dad didn't show up. I finally crept into his room, and could see him breathing, so I crept out. He got up shortly after 10! Good thing. I couldn't find the turkey, so by the time he got it out, it was almost 11.

Once the turkey was in the oven, we sat down to oyster stew and coffee. I had to make one more pitcher of tea, but we were set until we had guests. So we got some quiet time. The first guest sat down in the living room and took a nap. So I went on Facebook. The perfect way to start Christmas, quietly and calmly.

The two year old nephew, when asked what Santa brought him, replied "I wanted a real dog, a cat and candy. I didn't want all this other stuff." They were pleased he had put whole sentences together! His family made the next set of guests, and he had hugs and kisses for everybody.

The next arrivals had to leave in less than two hours to make a six hour drive to his mother's house. So we went to serious gift giving, watching two two-year-olds tearing into presents, and a few for us grown-ups. Then we went up to eat and slice piping hot turkey. Everything turned out well. Nothing burned. Some food temps were barely warm, but most were just right. Absolutely no one brought anything to contribute.

While we were at the table, the next round of guests came in from her mother's (a divorced parent situation), so we made room for them at the table. The kids had been snacking at the other grandmother's, so they didn't want anything. There were now four children and two newborn babies, one elderly man, and six other adults.

While waiting to go down for more gift giving, I gave the four children bands of jingle bells. I showed them how to open the Velcro and put them on their ankles instead of their wrists. It was raining, so we couldn't march outside, but they formed their own parade inside with little help from us adults. They must have sung Jingle Bells ten times and followed in a circle through three rooms, jingling and singing. A fun group activity. The most fun they had all day.

I highly recommend this last activity. The bells were cheap. It gave them a chance to work off some energy and be a team.It entertained the adults. The kids laughed and had fun.

I also picked up some "Hairy Harry" magnetic pictures for $1 each. My dad, their grandfather and great-grandfather, is named Harry. They got into those, making beards and hairdo's. Of course, that's a temporary fascination.

We recalled my late mother and the traditions and attitudes she gave us. We had a nice time. Everyone got along. The kids crawled underneath the daybed together, and pulled the books off the shelves as usual. So a ton of new toys can't distract them for long. It turned out to be a nice day.

© Copyright 2015 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/869291-Christmas-Day-Events