*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872378-Line-Dancing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#872378 added February 1, 2016 at 11:51pm
Restrictions: None
Line Dancing
         It looked so simple. Not real exercise. Once I tried to do some stuff with a group at work at a party, but gave up. So all I've done is watch. Until tonight that is.

         I joined a class for beginners from the county parks department. It was supposed to be for beginners to improve the balance, get some mild exercise, and learn some steps. An older friend was supposed to take it with me, but she didn't show up. She referred to line dancing as giving women without husbands a chance to dance at weddings. And yes, most of the dancers in the class were women, and mostly over 35.

         I began to panic when I realized that most of them coming in knew each other already and had danced with this teacher before. I spoke with a few women who had sat away from the big group. They were new to this teacher but had done a little dancing years before and couldn't remember the steps. I was feeling bad about this, knowing how uncoordinated I am. My husband always hated dancing. So I stopped trying and developed a self-conscious phobia about it.

         The first surprise was that it's amazingly difficult to learn so many steps. When you cross your foot in front, when to cross in back, when to step, to walk, to tap, etc. I was always missing a turn and having to skip to get back on the right foot. The next surprise is that it takes your breath and makes you sweaty.I was undoubtedly the worst in the class. I was constantly embarrassed but kept trying. I'm paying for this class; so I can't quit.

         By the end of the class, I had learned a few routines which I will forget by next week. It looks like it takes a lot of repetition to get the hang of it. I need more classes. What I wanted was to be with other people like myself. Instead, there were 23 people who have done it before and were fairly comfortable with the routines already. They just needed a little brushing up. At least half stayed to take the intermediate class afterward. They like line dancing. It's not fair to people like me.

         My goal is to stick it out. I've already made a fool of myself; it can't look any worse. Eventually, I will learn some simple routines. I will keep up even if I miss an occasional step. I will be able to dance with the ten year olds at the next reception. I promise.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872378-Line-Dancing