*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872459-The-Impression-That-I-Get
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#872459 added February 2, 2016 at 9:18pm
Restrictions: None
The Impression That I Get
** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **



Song: "The Impression That I Get"
Artist: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Album: Let's Face It


I blogged about the ska punk movement in music in a previous Soundtrackers challenge ("Being mistaken with Save Ferris), so I won't spend too much time rehashing, but I definitely wanted to use one of the bands that I mentioned in that last post. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were, aside from Save Ferris and Reel Big Fish, my favorite band of the ska punk scene. I love the way their big band sound mixes with the rock and punk influences, and, well, it just isn't all that often that you see a band with seven or eight members in it.

"The Impression That I Get" was their bestselling single off 1997's Let's Face It. It's the song that most people will identify with the band, and there's not a whole lot else that they're known for... except one small thing. They were the band featured in Clueless during the club scene where Ty falls down the stairs. They performed their songs "Someday I Suppose" and "Where'd You Go?" which I actually prefer, but never quite caught on as much as this track and this album did. I remember watching Clueless when I was younger and instantly needing to know who the band was because I thought they had such a unique sound. I tend to love bands that I discover through movie and television soundtracks, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are certainly no exception.

The band is actually still performing today, although they never quite recaptured the popularity they had in the late 90s. Not that any other ska punk band really did, but - like most of the bands in the genre - the last several years have been a mix of returning to independent recording, taking a hiatus, reconnecting and playing smaller shows, etc. I know ska punk music didn't catch on as much around the rest of the country as it did in California and New York during my high school years, but it remains one of my favorite niche music genres.




© Copyright 2016 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872459-The-Impression-That-I-Get