*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872556-Whered-You-Go
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#872556 added February 3, 2016 at 5:59pm
Restrictions: None
Where'd You Go?
** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **



Song: "Where'd You Go?"
Artist: Fort Minor
Album: The Rising Tied


This one's a bit of an exception to the general one-hit wonder formula in that Fort Minor isn't necessarily a band that's simply failed to recapture the lightning in a bottle they created once and have been trying ever since... it's actually a side project for Linkin Park producer/rapper/keyboardist/rhythm guitarist Mike Shinoda and it's been a one-hit wonder so far because he simply didn't intend to do much more with it while he's been busy with his other projects. Rumor has it that they're preparing to release new material now, after more than a decade of dormancy, so perhaps Fort Minor won't qualify for this challenge next time around! *Smile*

Linkin Park is a band I really, really like. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're a favorite of mine because there are definitely songs I don't like, but I appreciate their unique sound and appreciate the fact that they're constantly trying new things and not looking to just rehash past successes or fall into a formula. Their Collision Course album with Jay-Z is probably one of my favorite albums of all time because it's such a unique sound. I know that Mike Shinoda is one of the main driving forces behind Linkin Park's originality, so I was eager to check out his other endeavors when I hear about them.

In addition to spending 45 weeks (and peaking at #4) on the Billboard Hot 100, the song was also ranked at #19 on Billboard's list of the Top One-Hit Wonders of the 2000s. And if you're wondering who the girl is that's accompanying Shinoda's rap verses... her name is Skylar Grey, performing under the pseudonym Holly Brook. She's pretty accomplished in her own right; she co-wrote Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" and has been a guest vocalist on a number of other hit songs as well, including Diddy's "Coming Home," Dr. Dre's "I Need A Doctor," T.I.'s "New National Anthem," and Nicky Minaj's "Bed of Lies." Not a bad resume for a singer/songwriter!

I also thought this was an appropriate song to list today because "Where'd You Go" by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones was referenced yesterday but not featured because it wasn't a hit. Well, I found a "Where'd You Go" that is a one-hit wonder! *Pthb*




© Copyright 2016 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872556-Whered-You-Go