*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872770-Chili-for-Winter-Dinner
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#872770 added February 5, 2016 at 11:15pm
Restrictions: None
Chili for Winter Dinner
         I think I made one of the best pots of chili that I've done in years. It was regular beef, so it needed a lot of draining to remove the fat. I used lots of garlic--I've gotten more liberal with that in almost everything. The usual red pepper flakes, chili powder, black pepper, and parsley. I used 4 kinds of beans, canned where I usually start with soaking and simmering dry beans. I used just a little bit of corn for color, fresh onions, and lots of tomatoes.

         The main thing I did that was different was a liberal sprinkling of cumin. Cumin is supposed to be good for you, but not many people use it. I put it in the big pot of chili for the first time. I think it was the winning ingredient. We've been eating it all week, so we took a break tonight.

         I love experimenting with herbs and spices. Tonight I put fresh rosemary in the chicken stir fry. It added a really nice subtle flavor. The chicken was boneless and skinless. The vegetables were low calorie. So that felt pretty healthy and was delicious.

         I like cooking with fresh wholesome foods, or preparing from scratch. I still want it quick and easy without so many dirty pans and utensils to wash. I plan to amp up my herb garden this summer.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/872770-Chili-for-Winter-Dinner