*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874932-WDC
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#874932 added February 25, 2016 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
WDC
WDC offers each of us opportunities to grow in our chosen genre. Tell us how you discovered WDC and what your initial expectations were of the site? How long have you been a member? Do you feel your writing has grown in the time you've been here? And finally, do you have advice for newbies just discovering this site?



*Bird* A signature owl *Bird*


I don't really remember how I found WDC. I've been a member since May 2008. My first membership was free. I think I was looking for work and probably googled writing websites. I did not have any particular expectations. I never do.

Reading many of the writings on the website helped my creative urges. My portfolio was created for the purpose of storing things I wrote during college. Then I tried to be a part of the social by doing some of the activities.

Most of the time I was thwarted by computer glitches. We have upgraded our internet service twice since then from dial-up to wireless so that helps immensely. My computer was sabotaged twice before so I now have better internet protection. Even this November, I was writing a story after joining October NANO prep. Norton took my file. This has happened before. People taking things I wrote off my computer. Someone took a term paper when I was in college. I told the instructor. So, it was straightened out fast and could not be used by anyone else.

This time I was prepared and backed it up to a sandisk and printed out what I wrote. I use "The Journal 7" so every page in the file was dated and copyrighted. If anyone uses my plot I will sue. It is disturbing. But, I have narrowed the problem down to my own relatives. I have some useful talents, animal care (took a course in veterinary assistance (1973), reading, a good memory, now writing.

My first blog was on Google. It was book reviews. Somehow I let things just take their course over the years until this summer. Before this summer I just floated along for awhile. Once in awhile I thought of starting a blog on WDC just did not do it. Then I did start the blog, next I found the summer camping on 30 day and I've been blogging since. 30-day Challenge at least gave me some incentive.

WDC staff has always given me encouragement. That is why I stayed with it. Life here, where I live is pretty much stressful. There are a lot of superstitious people around. Maybe its that way everywhere and I just don't have any way to make more contact with people. Without a job after college I lost my car and income. If you don't go to church, have a car, or no income you pretty much have problems with a social life. And, I live 5 miles from the nearest settlement. *BigSmile*

(One of my neighbors just popped in to say she needed the him-lech maneuver done. The ambulance is with her now. Hope she is all right?) Never a dull moment even though I'm alone here. *Crazy*

I have found a place to use the little I know and people to talk with. WDC has grown as well. I don't think I write fiction well. My training was articles in print journalism. Which, there are a lot of people out there that can write print journalism. So, before I continue with some stories I have written I am taking "Reeling in Your Readers course." I enjoy researching facts the best. I think the course will help my editing abilities and maybe I can find time for more reviews.

Newbies: I think every newbie should have a mentor if they want one. During WDC birthday celebration I participated in the fun. I learned more about WDC than ever before. Even I wonder how I arrived at 2015 with so little knowledge about WDC. So, during the celebration I read blogs and welcomed newbies. Some people will jump right in here and get involved others will take time, be more cautious. If you know some one who needs encouragement I volunteer.


Owls are fun!

signature owl
























apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/874932-WDC