*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875342-Nothing-I-Hold-Onto
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#875342 added February 29, 2016 at 3:59pm
Restrictions: None
Nothing I Hold Onto

** Image ID #2070351 Unavailable **



Song: "Nothing I Hold Onto (Climb)"
Artist: Lissy Lategan
Album: n/a


Even though I've been regularly attending church for over four years now, it wasn't until the last year or so that I really started to listen to Christian music outside of church services. Like all music, there are definitely some songs I really like and some songs I really don't... but it took a while for me to start venturing out and trying to find those songs in this genre that I actually like and want to listen to outside of a service.

This is one of the first songs that I discovered on my own, and still one of my favorites. I tend to prefer Christian songs that have a broader appeal; I feel like songs whose lyrics draw heavily from the Bible or have really specific Christian/biblical messages aren't really my speed because I think the specificity of the message in those songs tend to turn off people who aren't already strong in their faith. As a result, I tend to go for songs that are generally uplifting and inspiring; the kinds of songs that, for example, I don't think would make a non-Christian riding in my car squirm in discomfort if they heard it playing on the stereo. *Wink*

I love the reminder in this song to surrender all things to God. One of the really beautiful aspects of the Christian faith is that you have a higher power that's walking with you and looking out for you, and for those of us who believe in that kind of thing, I think it's an important reminder that it's okay to let stuff go and not feel like you're the only one who can handle a particular situation. It's an incredible stress-reliever to listen to this song and be reminded of the fact that if you stop holding back and give everything to God, he'll turn it into something beautiful.

To be fair, though, some of the lyrics I'm a little skeptical of. Climbing a mountain with your arms wide open? I'm not sure my faith is that strong yet... *Laugh*



© Copyright 2016 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/875342-Nothing-I-Hold-Onto