*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877222-Ethan-Shupe-is-Minor-Character-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Family · #1956638
NaNoWriMo 2013
#877222 added March 23, 2016 at 5:46pm
Restrictions: None
Ethan Shupe is Minor Character #1
Background Story:
The Hospital Room

Amity stared at Larry, she watched the ventilator as it fed oxygen to her husband. She knew he did not want to be there, lying in bed waiting to die. They had discussed this possibility when the doctor told them the diagnosis. Still she could not bring herself to have the life support removed, at least not until his brother came in. Larry and Rodger were born precises ten months apart.

Growing up they were like twins, everyone thought they were twins. The looked alike, they dressed alike, and they acted alike. The only difference between the two was the addiction. Larry was addicted to tobacco and Rodger to booze. That was what was killing her husband, the smoking. It had eaten away his lungs and now he lay in the hospital waiting to die.

"Amity," a deep male voice spoke from behind her. "Is it alright if I come in?"

Turning around she, smile as Rodger placed his hand on her shoulder. "Of course, Rodger, we've been waiting for you." She stood up and hugged her brother-in-law.

"What's the prognosis?"

"The doctor says there is not hope. He says that the only thing keeping Larry alive is the feeding tubes and the ventilator."

"Then why hasn't the doctor removed them?"

"I have to give permission and I was waiting for you." She set back down. "I wanted you to have the chance to say good-bye."

"I'm here now," he reached over and pushed the nurse call button. "I'll have the nurse call the doctor." Then he sit down in a chair on the other side of the bed. "It's time we let go, Amity. Larry would not like to survive like this. He loved life too much to waste away like this."

"Of course." She stood up and kissed her husband on the cheek. "I'll sign the papers as soon as the doctor comes in." At that moment a nurse enter the room.

"Miss," said Rodger. "Get Doctor Barns in here immediately."

"Yes, Sir." The nurse

Just as the nurse left the room Ethan entered the room carrying a white envelop in his left hand. "Hi, Uncle Rodger," he shook his Uncle's hand and hugged his mother. "Dad isn't any better, is he?"

"No, Ethan," Amity frowned. She knew he disagreed with her on the life support. "I... perhaps you'd better leave because..."

"You're going to have Dad taken off life support!"

"Ethan," Rodger placed his hand on Ethan's shoulder. "Your father wouldn't want..."

"I know, Uncle Rodger, Dad wouldn't want to live this way." He sighed, then he walked to the bed and kissed his father on the forehead. "Daniella and I were discussing this, she thinks that Dad's wishes should be respected and followed."

"You've changed your mind, Ethan?" Amity put her arm around her son's waist.

"I agree with Daniella, that Dad's wishes should be respected," he removed a piece of paper from the envelop. "Daniella gave me this letter, she said Dad wrote it just after Doctor Burns diagnosed him with lung cancer." He handed the letter to his Mother. "Daniella said I should read it before I went to a lawyer."

Amity looked down at the letter and a tear rolled down her cheek. "It's addressed to Daniella and you."

"Yes," Ethan turned to his mother. "I'm sorry for the things I said this morning, I know you loved Dad. It's just that I couldn't admit to myself that he was gone."

"Ethan, what did my brother say in the letter that changed your mind?"

"He wrote Grandpa Henry's death and how long he hung on after they put him on life support." Ethan wiped tears from his eyes. "He said he didn't want to put us through that and... and that as hard as it was, we hand to let go and remember him as he was before the cancer took him. He also said..."

"That he wanted a closed casket funeral," Amity said as she handed the letter back to Ethan.

"Yes," Rodger frowned, "Dolly is going to have a fit about. She hate closed casket funerals, she thinks everyone enjoys looking at dead people."

"Uncle Rodger, I'll help you run interference with Aunt Dolly."

"So will I," said Daniella entering the room.

"Good," said Rodger, "because it may take all three of use to prevent her from making a scene."

"Prevent who from making a scene," ask Doctor Burns as he entered the room."

"My sister-in-law," said Amity.

"Oh, her," said Doctor Burns. "Will she be coming to the hospital?"

"No, Doc," Rodger moved away from the bed. "She can't get back into town until Friday."

"Doctor Burns," said Ethan. "You can take Dad off life support anytime. Do I need to sign anything?"

"No, Ethan, your mother signed everything this morning."

Profile

*Questionbl* Name: Ethan Shupe

*Questionp* Age: Date of Birth: December 7, 1958; he is 55 years old.

*Questionr* General physical description: He is 6' 1", with strong athletic (sometimes referred to as dancer's) legs. He has jet black hair and blue eyes. He is masculine. He is in excellent health.

*Questiono* Hometown: He lives in Las Vegas, Nevada.

*Questiong* Type of home and/or neighborhood: He lives in a one bedroom apartment

*Questionb* Relationship status: Plays the field. He prefers women his age or younger.

*Questionv* Current family: He is not married and has no current relationship.

*Question* Family background (parents, previous marriages, etc.): He is Daniella Coffey's half-brother. His mother is Amity Coffey-Shupe. He has never been married and has no current relationship, but he is open to finding someone and will let friends or family introduce him to perspective women.

*Questionbl* Friends: He has a buddy, Samuel J. Black-Eagle that lets use his apartment when he is out of town. They go out to the bars and shows when he is in Las Vegas. June Parker is an ex-girl friend that he keeps in touch with and she sometimes uses his apartment when its is available.

*Questionp* Other close relationships: None
© Copyright 2016 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877222-Ethan-Shupe-is-Minor-Character-1