*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877312-Brain-Waves
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#877312 added March 24, 2016 at 10:21am
Restrictions: None
Brain Waves

"Old habits die hard." Do you believe this statement?


*Horseshoe* This was done for Reeling in your readers character *Horse*



Well yes! If you don't practice something new that to replace the old habit, you will revert to the old habit. Just human nature or brain waves.

Other things that can cause you to revert is loss of memory, sudden fear, extreme anger, anything that may be sudden so your brain grabs the first habit you call up which may be the old one.

Editing is my hangup. Or more to the point passive writing is a hangup. "Reeling in the Readers" gave me some really specific ideas for making changes and I hope I am working on changing my brain so it thinks action and show when I write.
So, I continue to read books about how to write as I write new scenes.

Also, when I took guitar lessons my teacher told me you should always do something slowly and perfectly right as you practice something new. If you don't make mistakes to begin with you don't have to relearn and the habit will be the first one that presents itself when you need it.

It must work because this is the way I learned classical guitar and even though I don't play often whenever I pick up the music the proper habits bring forth the song.

Also, I never forget the way to ride even though I don't ride now. If I go to a horse show I have a habit of picking apart riding habits that are improperly executed because I know so many tricks. We watched 4H at the fair this year and I was quite angry that the children apparently do not have good teachers. Many of them did not know how to present themselves or their horses inside the arena. It's dangerous for the horse or rider or both if the control is not present. Children and mounts should be so well taught they can't make the mistake away from home, the one that may harm them.

signature owl

© Copyright 2016 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/877312-Brain-Waves