*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880516-Conference-Over
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#880516 added April 26, 2016 at 11:30pm
Restrictions: None
Conference Over
         Well, I was elated and disappointed by the weekend conference. The events were repetitive and after a while, you felt guilty bugging these people-the stars-about autographs, posing for pictures, and so forth. They didn't want to engage in conversation about their lives or work while they were selling their wares.

         The best parts were the very short question and answer periods. Yet, the venue wasn't very good. We had about 200 people trying to crowd into a small tent with a lousy microphone for the stars. The questions from the audience had to be shouted out, so that the people in the back didn't know what was being asked. There was a rodeo type thing going on in the arena, so shooting sounds kept interrupting or the tractor roared as it cleared up the dirt trampled by the horses. On the other side of the tent were automobiles and horse trailers gearing up, so that hearing was difficult.

         When you could hear, you got great stories, tales of TV production, TV history, movie history., and commentary on acting. I could tell at least one of them is beginning to struggle with remembering details because he told about one of his own roles with errors. I've watched it frequently and know better. I really wanted to know more about the creative process, like writing a single episode alone or as a team. Or where the inspiration comes from. Whether acting was more fulfilling than acting, or directing. What their favorite role was other than the show we were celebrating. But the rest of the crowd didn't have the same interests I did.

         I did manage to corner the oldest one there outside the last day. He wasn't interested in making money, since he brought no photos or items for sale. He signed only what the guest brought with them for free. And he loved talking to people. He's been in over 100 movies, and a number of TV shows, written a movie script and a novel, and has directed at least two movies. And he's still working! I asked about a specific movie, and he was honest about where he got the material, and how they tried to keep it mild and presentable (subject was witchcraft). He prefers acting because directing takes too much work. For two years he worked about 22 hours a day, seven days a week. There is too much to tend to, too many details that you can't leave to others. Directing is demanding and is hard on your health and family life. I got more on the creative process from him than anyone there. Only one other person was there listening to us.

         I think I was a little star struck the first night, but I felt energized by all that creativity and drive from all those people. I wasn't there just to discuss this one series. One of them, the one I had the crush on, was more of a smart-ass and wouldn't take anything seriously. He entertained the people staying in his hotel who also stayed up late. I guess our personalities were in conflict or I did something early that irritated him, because he certainly seemed to get along with everyone else. Everybody else I thought was gracious and kind.

         Yes, I am planning to go again if they hold it again. Aging entertainers might not be able to keep doing it. And a lot of money was raised for Vets and their families. This was the biggest one they've had to date, with the most stars, and the most guests and the most money raised. If they do it again, it will only get bigger (so they'll need a better venue).


© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/880516-Conference-Over