*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881384-Paying-It-Forward
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#881384 added May 4, 2016 at 11:49pm
Restrictions: None
Paying It Forward
         I came across a great idea today. It was actually on one of those self-help, healthier living web pages. It challenged readers to start a list of people not immediately related like parents, children, or spouses, and do something kind for each of those people. The goal was to list 365 people.

         You wouldn't have to limit yourself to one a day. You might want to build up for the days you're sick or out of commission. The acts of kindness would include writing a cheerful note, buying a soda, or a meal for a co-worker, doing something for a neighbor, visiting an elderly person, etc. The person could be a stranger you'd never see again.

         I thought this would be a wonderful challenge to do. The main benefactor would be me. I'd be a better person. How much would it affect the world around me? Would the recipients of kindness do the same? And what if a whole club, a class, or a church accepted the challenge. 365 people multiplied by the members could make a whole community a kinder place.

         I have heard people say when they got up to the drive through window, their meals were already paid by the person ahead. (I never had that happen.) I had a friend who would pay in restaurants for people she thought could use a little cheer. I have a friend now who will cook a pot roast and all the side dishes and take it to a neighbor who she thinks needs a little care. She also visits nursing homes and takes flowers she arranges.

         When I was in Ohio recently, I had to go to a dinner at the country club in the Toledo city limits. It wasn't on my GPS. No one in my suburbia hotel knew the whereabouts until a housekeeper happened to walk into the lobby. She knew where the golf course was. Instead of telling me how to get there, she said, " I'm getting off now. I have to turn in my equipment and let my boss know I'm going. I'll take you there to make sure you don't get lost."

         I went out to my car outside the office. Her husband was waiting out there for her. She introduced us, then I turned my car around. In a few minutes she came out, double checked the street address with me, then I set out following strangers in a big city. The streets are convoluted with a cement barrier standing in the middle. Miss your turn, and you have to go several miles to do a u-turn. Finally we arrived. She wanted to give me directions back to the hotel, but that address was in the GPS. I tried to give her some gas money, but she refused. She said, "God blesses us everyday. I don't need anything."

         That was an act of kindness and a positive attitude. She went out of her way for someone who meant nothing to her. That's the kind of thing I want on my list. I'm taking the challenge. I invite anyone who stumbles on this to take the challenge, too.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881384-Paying-It-Forward