*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881915-Honey-Bees
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#881915 added May 12, 2016 at 12:16am
Restrictions: None
Honey Bees
         Honey bees are vital to the world's food supply. They aren't just about honey. Birds and bees really do pollinate the crops. Bees are in grave danger,and we are going to suffer the fallout.

         The reasons for endangerment are varied. The greed of honey bee owners, who won't let their bees rest, but rent them out to other geographic regions during the off season, has weakened many colonies. Breeding with unhealthy colonies or killer bees has hurt the population. Disease and parasites have reduced colonies. Pesticides and pollution threaten to eradicate bees.

         You don't have to be a beekeeper to help. Bees thrive on trees and shrubs more than flowers. Learn the right plants to put in your yard or farm and place them away from roads and walkways. Make sure all streams, ponds, and so forth in your vicinity are free of chemicals. Don't spray your entire property to rid it of all insects and flying things. I don't like mosquitoes either, but I use repellent on me only. I also put plants that are supposed to repel mosquitoes on the porch and patio, so that I don't chase away all the butterflies. You could put up a bat house to eat mosquitoes, if you don't mind bats. They won't bother bees.

         I know someone in a subdivision with a very large yard who has a small colony of bees. They don't intend to harvest honey. They just want bees to pollinate their area and be protected.

         You can also support Burt's Bees. They do not use honey or honeycomb from diseased or overworked colonies. They do a lot of research to promote the health and welfare of honeybee colonies. By using their products, you help save the bee.

© Copyright 2016 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/881915-Honey-Bees